Brass lead screw nut or cast iron?

dabear3428

Registered
Registered
i recently purchased a amazon compound slade for my 9X24 mini lathe, this is to replace the aluminum compound that shipped with the lathe. the add clearly showed a brass nut for the lead screw, but what was shipped has the lead screw threaded into the cast iron of the slide and no separate nut. how big of an issue is this? i can use as is and later machine a brass nut and rework the slide to fit it. i will definitely be asking for at least a partial refund but i'm wondering if it will be ok as is for a wile?

Cast iron contains graphite and has excellent wear characteristics. It may wear the screw faster than bronze, but I can't say for sure. Keep it oiled, I doubt you will have any problems within the life of the machine. Still, not what was advertised. Go for that partial refund.

Bronze would be better, but depending on your frequency of use, the cast iron may suffice.

Vendors often show images that are not completely accurate. Since there is no mention of a brass or bronze nut in the verbal description, you may have an problem getting a partial refund but it can't hurt to try. A poor review may have more impact. Fortunately, Amazon has a liberal return policy and that may be your best option if you can't live with the integral cast iron nut.

I happen to like Amazon and use it regularly but one of my pet peeves with Amazon is their product descriptions suck. I could care less about the size of the shipping box or the weight. Give me the pertinent technical information.

i recently purchased a amazon compound slade for my 9X24 mini lathe, this is to replace the aluminum compound that shipped with the lathe. the add clearly showed a brass nut for the lead screw, but what was shipped has the lead screw threaded into the cast iron of the slide and no separate nut. how big of an issue is this? i can use as is and later machine a brass nut and rework the slide to fit it. i will definitely be asking for at least a partial refund but i'm wondering if it will be ok as is for a wile?

If you’re looking into the hole in the bottom you’re looking at stained cast iron, not brass.

Iron is preferable imo as the term “wears like iron” has meaning.

If you’re looking into the hole in the bottom you’re looking at stained cast iron, not brass.

Iron is preferable imo as the term “wears like iron” has meaning.
thanks for the response, I do not agree with your conclusion, there is no reason to machine a recess in the casting at that point other than to install a nut and if you look closely it is a brass nut that has marks from turning.
but regardless if threading the cast iron is good / better than a brass nut then great.

will threading the cast iron create an issue with binding of the lead screw? i would assume that the separate nut allows for slight misalignment?

I agree it looks like brass in the photo on Amazon. Wear? The softer usually material wears out first. Would you rather the lead screw or the nut wear out first and need to be replaced? I also wondered about oiled (impregnated) bronze, as used for sleeve bearings/bushing. Would this be better than brass?

Likewise, if you had a cast iron vs brass gib against a steel way which surface would you prefer to wear out. Getting a new gib is certainly easier than resurfacing a way. Also, if the gib wears evenly you can just tighten it up... at least for a while.

Back