Braising Stainless Steel

savarin

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Any special considerations required when braising stainless steel?
Thanks

Always tilt the baking tray so you can dip the spoon in the juices? Ah you mean BRAZING, yes, you would need a stainless flux, and a slightly oxidising flame if you are using oxy/acetylene, it will discolour the stainless, and need quite a clean up afterwards. There are a lot of materials classed as "stainless steel" today, and some braze easier than others. If this is a simple repair you can mig it with plain steel wire and co2 gas shield, but of course it will rust.
Phil
UK

You will need a filler with at least 45% silver content or use nickel silver rod and the appropriate flux. Harris Stay-Silv works well for silver and Gasflux Type B will work with nickel silver. Regular LFB rod does not wet out properly on stainless. Silver is much more expensive that the nickel silver rod, but the temps are much lower and less risk of causing heat related damage to the stainless.

I wish I could weld it but its very very thin.
I've managed to tig some of it but its way too easy to burn through so thought I might be able to braize the remainder.
I believe I may have some stainless soldering flux and also a high content silver rod, I guess I had better experiment on some scrap.
The two components I wish to join are a stainless food mixing bowel to a stainless serving tray all round the rim.
I managed an inch of tig at 5 equidistant points but have burnt through in two points. They are so thin I cant fill the holes without making them larger.

Keep looking at the word braze till you get it right!!:)

well if it is that thin I would solder it, you can get the flux easy enough, but I couldn't advise of composition of solder, other than the advice given above by others, certainly if you put an oxy/acet flame on it it will dissapear!

The problem with spell check is for such a smart feature it sure is stupid!

I was only Joshing ya! But soldering of some sort does seem to be the best solution if it is that thin. There ues to be a flux/solder paste called fryolux (dont know if I spelled that right:)) which was a mix of flux and ground up solder, you painted it on to the joint, put the joint together and warmed it, and when you saw the solder appear at the joint, it was done. If you could get that for stainless! Anyway I was wrong, you said BRAISING, and I gave you instructions for BASTING! whoops.
Phil

Today I tried a very low melting point silver solder, std hard silver solder, high content silver braizing rod and standard braizing rod.
Admittedly only on the areas already welded so as not to prevent me from welding it if they failed.
They failed (or should I say I failed)
I think I will have to swallow my pride and take it to a pro shop to get it finished. That hurts.

I was wrong, you said BRAISING, and I gave you instructions for BASTING! whoops.
Phil
Hi Phil,
well not really, braising uses a sauce when cooking and is self basting:D

Back