BP quill feed

hoss897

Registered
Registered
I have a J head without quill feed. Was this an option or a standard feature on this head?
I suspect that this machine was damaged at some point in time because the spline on the end of the spindle has a twist in it and was machined to bring the spline grooves back to straight.
If this was a standard feature then maybe the quill feed was also damaged and everything was removed while the head was being repaired.
I'm sure someone here knows if this was an optional feature.
Also, if my suspicion is correct, what else should I be checking?

Not that I have seen everything, but I have never seen a J-head without quill feed. I suspect you are correct that it was damaged beyond repair and just removed. Does the main casting support the feed mechanism? If so, then you can easily replace it. It is hard for me to believe a mill would be useful without this feature, particularly for boring. Here is a place that can aid you in that quest.

Good luck.

The main cast8ng supports it. It just has covers installed where all of the mechanisms would be.

As far as I know the down feed mechanism has always been a standard feature. I’ve used quite a number of Bridgeports over the years and they’ve all had the down feed feature

Is the entire gear train missing or is the down feed just inoperative? It’s fairly common to break the key if the machine has crashed while the down feed was in use. H&W has a video on how to replace it.

Pay close attention to the orientation when installing it. If you put it in wrong the down feed won’t work. It will also be difficult to remove the key to reorient it properly

The entire mechanism is missing.
Clutch system is gone
Engage/disengage system is gone
Fine feed hand wheel system is gone.
From what I see, nothing is there.
This is an Adcock Shipley BP. I wouldn't think that would be any difference though as ever component seems to be identical.

That's a shame. You could likely buy all the parts to fix it, but it would probably be cheaper to find another head.

Back