BP knowledge-base, 36" table & 9" knee availability

I am now the proud owner of a Bridgeport Series 1 pulley J head mill with a 36" table. It has a 12" travel Y cross feed, not the 9" version that I thought I wanted. With over 4' of front to back depth, I guess 3 more inches won't make much difference. But 12" of Y travel, wow.
Yes, the pulley J head 32" table and 9" cross-feed knee models are out there, but they are typically round ram versions and early dovetail versions, all usually with zerk oil fittings. Being from the 1950s, the tables are usually beat up and the oil passages are gummed up with grease from zerk use.

I will say that I looked into the example referenced above in Morgan Hill, CA. via telephone as a 6 hour trip was a concern and the price was an obstacle. The table did look OK, and it had zerk fittings.

So, I finally found a serial # just over 100,000 dating 1967 with a one shot oiler in New York state. I arranged the freight on my end to CA and the total was way less than that Morgan Hill example above. I'm sure I will need to replace various parts, but this re-build or whatever you want to call it is going to be fun. And if I can't get it into my small workshop space, I'll just have to sell it.

Back