BP knowledge-base, 36" table & 9" knee availability

JimBuchanan

Registered
Registered
Greetings, folks.

I've been spending time researching and rebuilding knee mills smaller than the Bridgeport class mill, as my available space is limited. Once again, I'm looking at the BP for a possible solution.

The smallest BP is the original round RAM model with the M head. I'm sure I could make the M head work, but would rather have a pulley J head with R-8 spindle. I would also rather have a dovetailed RAM. Trouble is, I've not seen any dovetail RAM Series 1 mills with a smaller than 42" table. The lathe-UK site says there were 36" and 32" tables made and 2 sizes of knees for 9" and 12" cross-feed saddles. Were these offerings just for the UK market?

The smaller 36" table and even a 9" cross-feed knee would work for me. Any thoughts or ideas on sourcing these items?

I don't think those table/knee configurations were just for the UK market as I have seen them come up for sale here, but they are vey rare. If you are tight on space, consider placing the mill in a corner, you'd be surprised how much mill you can fit!

Greetings, folks.

I've been spending time researching and rebuilding knee mills smaller than the Bridgeport class mill, as my available space is limited. Once again, I'm looking at the BP for a possible solution.

The smallest BP is the original round RAM model with the M head. I'm sure I could make the M head work, but would rather have a pulley J head with R-8 spindle. I would also rather have a dovetailed RAM. Trouble is, I've not seen any dovetail RAM Series 1 mills with a smaller than 42" table. The lathe-UK site says there were 36" and 32" tables made and 2 sizes of knees for 9" and 12" cross-feed saddles. Were these offerings just for the UK market?

The smaller 36" table and even a 9" cross-feed knee would work for me. Any thoughts or ideas on sourcing these items?
I have a step pulley J-head with a 36” table and 9” y travel. I have it in the corner as Eddyde suggests. I actually really like the small table on the manual mill. I also have a big bed mill with a 50” table and running it manually is much more difficult as you are so far from the vise if it’s centered. the 36” table and short x travel is sometimes limiting. You just need consider the size of your work. It’s really tight with a dividing head and tail stock too.

1680412322007.png

Yes, that light array is a kick. Just goes to show, be careful what you wish for. Looks like I got some work to do. I can date serial #s. Is there a reference for the casting #s to part descriptions?

Bridgeport Series I machines with a 36" table are not that uncommon. One of the dealers I frequent had a dozen of them last fall. They didn't last a month on the floor. Over the years he's had probably 50, but like the last batch they don't last long. While they are a bit small for the work I do they do seem to be popular. I'm sure in the scheme of things there were fewer of this size machine built than the standard size with a 42" table.

They are out there, but generally don't last long on the market. I would get in touch with local equipment dealers and let them know exactly what you're looking for. Ask them to give you a call if they come across one. In some cases dealers will allow you to pick up machines from the shops they buy them from rather than haul them to their shop then to the customers shop. In other cases they may even deliver them to your door. In the last year a local dealer has delivered a couple machines to my shop free of charge.

Following used machinery prices around here I've noted that the 36" table examples tend to go for less at auction compared to the 42" or 48" versions. A friend just bought a clean Series I 1.5hp VS model with the 36" table for $1,200....I thought that was pretty cheap.

Back