BP "J" with Step Pulley

plongson

Registered
Registered
I recently acquired a Bridge Port "J" with step pulleys...about circa 1972.
Previously I ran a BP with the variable drive and it was pretty quiet. I'm feeling like this step pulley version is quite a bit noisier. Perhaps from the cog belt? Perhaps from the "V" belt.
Is it my imagination or is the step pulley version noisier than the vari-drive version??

Sounds like something is worn- those are usually pretty quiet generally speaking
-M

A step pulley head I would think would be quieter. The problem with the vari drive is the bushing. Bushings wear out and the assembly flops around causing the noise.
I have a step pulley J head and it’s pretty quiet. Is the head quieter in hi speed than low? If it is could be bearings on cog pulley shaft.

I’ve had/used both. Neither were very quiet nor did one impress me as louder or quieter than the other.

The one I run at work is about the same as the variable speed ones.

What sort of noise we talking? There's a lot can be "not quite right" in that area

I recently acquired a Bridge Port "J" with step pulleys...about circa 1972.
Previously I ran a BP with the variable drive and it was pretty quiet. I'm feeling like this step pulley version is quite a bit noisier. Perhaps from the cog belt? Perhaps from the "V" belt.
Is it my imagination or is the step pulley version noisier than the vari-drive version??
Cog belts can be loud. Mine is. Do you have a video you can post?

My step pulley Kent has a loud rattle at certain speeds in high range. Pretty certain it is the dogs that drop in to engage high not dropping far enough.

Back