Boyar-schultz Surface Grinder H612

LJP

Active User
Registered
Another CL purchase. Picked it up today with a Uhaul trailer.
I can't say I know anything about a surface grinder other than what I have seen on YouTube. And, I know that means I know nothing about it. However, I knew it was a good machine at a good price.
This is a H612 Boyar-Schultz surface grinder in excellent condition. Bought from the widow of a lifelong machinist, for the full asking price of $1500 cash. It has a 6" x 12" magnetic chuck, a 3" x 6" magnetic sine chuck, and a J&S Tool Radii and Angle Dresser. Included are 40 new grinding wheels in various sizes, profiles, grits, and materials, all in original shipping boxes from Norton, dated to the 80's and 90's. The original paperwork as well as the warranty date of 1974. Various parts and attachments, wrenches and wheels etc. etc.
I do not believe this grinder has seen much use at all, and the use it saw was at the hand of an excellent craftsman. I wish every 40 year old machine was this clean and neat.
Thanks for looking, Larry

Boyar- Schultz surface grinder .JPGSine Chuck .JPGRadii and Angle Dresser .JPG

Boyar- Schultz surface grinder .JPG Sine Chuck .JPG Radii and Angle Dresser .JPG

Another CL purchase. Picked it up today with a Uhaul trailer.
I can't say I know anything about a surface grinder other than what I have seen on YouTube. And, I know that means I know nothing about it. However, I knew it was a good machine at a good price.
This is a H612 Boyar-Schultz surface grinder in excellent condition. Bought from the widow of a lifelong machinist, for the full asking price of $1500 cash. It has a 6" x 12" magnetic chuck, a 3" x 6" magnetic sine chuck, and a J&S Tool Radii and Angle Dresser. Included are 40 new grinding wheels in various sizes, profiles, grits, and materials, all in original shipping boxes from Norton, dated to the 80's and 90's. The original paperwork as well as the warranty date of 1974. Various parts and attachments, wrenches and wheels etc. etc.
I do not believe this grinder has seen much use at all, and the use it saw was at the hand of an excellent craftsman. I wish every 40 year old machine was this clean and neat.
Thanks for looking, Larry

View attachment 79139View attachment 79140View attachment 79141

Looks good to me. Nice find.

I would suggest getting a electric demagnetizer so you can demagnetize you finished steel parts. With steel hold-downs non-metal parts can be ground as well.

I would say you scored big time. :greenwithenvy: Great find. Now you get to have fun learning how to use it. Not difficult, but does require a bit of care.

Safety note: Always make sure that the wheels ring before you mount them, and always use blotters. There is a bunch of other safety stuff also, but I won't bore you with that now.

In the shop I learned tool making in, happened to be in Walpole MA, we had several H612's. They were very nice grinders. And the J&S dresser is probably worth $1,500. They are also very very nice.
Guess I should pay closer attention to CL.

John

Are you sure that it is a used machine? Had 2 at work, a manual one and a hydraulic one. The hydraulic tended to leak. Never did get it stopped. Just have the manual one now.
Pierre

THAT is one clean good lookin' well taken care of machine. You scored big time!

CHuck the grumpy old guy

Nice find.....Congratulations!
That would be a very useful to any shop

-brino

Back