Box or Case for 4-5” and/or 6-7” Outside Micrometers

erikmannie

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
I have Starrett 4-5” and 6-7” analog outside micrometers sitting in the drawer with no box or case.

Ideally, somebody here would sell me a Starrett box or case for any Starrett 4-5” and/or 6-7” outside micrometer. The part numbers don’t need to match at all, but I would like it if the box was a Starrett box.

Failing that, ANY Starrett box or ANY micrometer case that would fit a 4-5” and/or 6-7” would be acceptable. It doesn’t need to be padded, but padded is okay.

I checked eBay and the entire internet, and I didn’t come up with anything. If you guys see anything on the internet, I would appreciate a link.

Contact me through here or my cell (707)293-8973.

If they are sitting in a wooden tool box drawer there's no reason to look for a case

I have a friend who's dad was a machinist. All of his mixes were in the bottom of a drawer in a toolbox. I made a box to hold 1-7 miles for him. Slots down the ends to hold 1/4 plywood. Glue on blocks as stops to capture each mic. Not a difficult design or project with a table saw

I learned that you may spend more money on the case (or box) than on the micrometer if you want the Starrett name on it. Those would have been $50-$100 for each box.

I cheaped out and bought these 19” square Domke protective wraps for $15 each on Amazon. I chose red so as to look like Starrett products.

959F0E30-DC24-40E3-B1EF-E35CEFD790EE.jpegC53A782A-9B73-4DBE-A06E-A3AD4502F731.jpeg

I also noticed that you can buy cheap import micrometers that come with a measuring rod and padded wooden case, but I don’t want any more Chinesium micrometers or standards around here. Apparently I don’t have a problem with imported protective wraps, though.

One of my bosses in my apprentice shop had all his mikes in one drawer in his Gerstner box (24") 0 - 6" with standards separated with a sheet of 1/4" hard white felt cut out to fit each, I did the same with mine.

One of my bosses in my apprentice shop had all his mikes in one drawer in his Gerstner box (24") 0 - 6" with standards separated with a sheet of 1/4" hard white felt cut out to fit each, I did the same with mine.

I see that you can buy this hard felt in any thickness and color that you want. Break out the Exacto knife and customize whatever you need.

B6F05C00-050F-49B5-AA2D-CF02AD9904F6.png

My shop is a little different because I have a lot of welding smoke and carbon soot. I regularly have to (double) cover my machine tools and toolboxes.

Back