Box of Kwik Switch holders that came with mill

Mike: If you hadn't figured it out, that's the adapter in your mill head. With it cleaned up and lubed, you should be able to switch tools with a twist of the knurled ring to unlock the adapter. The mill that I used to run with KS adapted tooling never needed the spanner to unlock. It was nice to be able to switch tooling within about 10 seconds and carry on.

That is a great looking mill.
Congratulations!
-brino

Thank you Brino. It feels tight to the untrained hand. I was advised that if I don't have $1k ready to convert back to CNC that I shouldn't even start. I am in the middle of building a house so I will have to hold off on that job for now.

The thread that you are referring to as a "draw bar" thread is not. The set screw down in the thread is used for an adjustment for setting the height of your cutting tool in the holder. Beware, the thread maybe left handed! I had a few straight shank holders that held "Acura Flex" collets, which you have several holders shown in your pictures. Somewhere in my collections of stuff, I have a old Universal Engineering catalog showing all of the different holding systems that they made including the "Kwik-Switch" tooling.
Don't toss any of it or sell any of it off. You will need all of it for your mill soon!
That is great info about the set screw... Thanks. That brings up another question- how is the Kwik Switch master holder held in the machine? There is no drawbar. Did the old CNC versions come from the factory with the Kwik Switch master installed? I'd expect that there is a way to change the tool system.

Hi Mike , welcome, you did good on the mill buy . I'm one of the WD40 haters when used as protecting. It's only claim to fame is a water displaced for metal. I've done a bit of gunsmithing over the years and a beautiful Browning barrel came in rusty top to bottom some on the choke inside. Why cleaned and stored with wd40. Admitted it was for a year in the closet. If it had been rubbed down with oil it wouldn't have needed more then a wipe down. The bore cleaned up easy but the bluing took time to get back to the deep bluing it had. If you use your tooling it won't rust but if try storing it please oil it up and cover with an oily rag. I like gear oil it sticks and stays .
Thanks SilverBullet.
I read this and figured I'd think on it a few days before I replied because the story confused me. hah
We're heavy into guns here, and have put some away with WD40 for more than a year. There simply MUST be more to his story than he told you.
As I was cleaning out the shop it started to sprinkle (I think the emptying of the shop must be the cause) and I ran out and put bulk WD40 to its best use as a water displacer. Works great.
Maybe a discussion about WD40's properties should be in another thread... Probably already been discussed a couple of million times. :beer:

Mike: If you hadn't figured it out, that's the adapter in your mill head. With it cleaned up and lubed, you should be able to switch tools with a twist of the knurled ring to unlock the adapter. The mill that I used to run with KS adapted tooling never needed the spanner to unlock. It was nice to be able to switch tooling within about 10 seconds and carry on.
I finally pulled a tool holder out of my temporary storage box (still wet with WD40) and slipped it up in the master. *click*
Worked like a champ. No tool needed yet.

Mike
Kwik Switch are some of the finest tool holders out there
They come in several sizes, like 200,300,400 etc
The number is the diameter in millimeters on the small end. Yours look like 200's
Universal Engineering went out of business back around 2008 when the crash hit as I recall
They were bought out by a large tool manufacturer who still offers the product at this location
http://www.universaldevlieg.com/
You have quite a stash , as most 200 's have sold on ebay for 25-50 each. retail they were 200 each.
I use them and have bought collets and holders from a guy in your neighborhood named Steve at

http://tools-n-gizmos.com./

Rich

Mike, I have a Tree Journeyman 200R with a Kwik-Switch II holder (200 series) and I like them very much, but they're all I have ever used really. Outside of a bit of tinkering at other places. Are you still using yours? I have pictures of 10 years ago when I got and totally rebuilt my machine. And my YouTube channel has videos of it working now with LinuxCNC on X,Y&Z axis. Yes I added a working Z to that old 1982 machine! So if you're still out there give me a shout and we can chat.

Holy thread revival!

I'm curious if Mike is still kicking or not?
Howdy Hatch, et al. I escaped from my computer for a few years. I just logged in for the first time and saw your email.
Have been working out of state and out of the USA for a bit. Nice to be home in time to see the cities burn down and the level of public discourse descend to tribal warfare.

I apologize if this counts as an unholy thread revival... Just replying.
Kind regards friends.

Welcome Home Mike !

Don't know if you ever got a Kwik-Switch catalog ?
Pretty Sure I have one and can scan it if you wish ?

Rich

Back