Bought my first mill over the weekend.

Shadowdog500

Active User
Registered
Last weekend I was buying a lathe and the guy offered to sell me the Rockwell mill that was sitting next to it for $650. This is my first mill and the size is perfect for my shop. It came with the vise, collets, and a small assortment of tooling.

Im I sure I'll have a ton of questions once I get it set up this weekend.

Chris

13967715-1BA4-4003-9868-0ACCE86C3627_zpsw0ocwtwq.jpg

Nice machine. I had the opportunity to buy one about a year ago but the owner wanted it more than I did. He was asking over a thoushand for his. I went and looked at it and was impressed with everything except the price. I went home and thought about it for a while and called him back to offer $800. It was already sold!!!
The big question as to whether you got a good deal or not is "does the power feed work" if not, then "is the power feed complete?" I have a friend in the mid-west that has one. Getting parts is difficult - especially if you need power feed parts.
I agree that it is a perfect size for a small shop. I ended up with a Grizzly g 0695. about the same size.
Have fun with yours.

Earl

Very nice score! :thumbsup:

In my opinion you stole it at that price, even if it didn't have power feed. The RW and Clausing mills are hard to find.

I'm jealous - machines are hard to find and expensive when they do show up around here. Great find!

sweet mill, congratulations! Looks perfect for a home shop and you got a bunch of useful stuff with it too.

How much did that weigh and how did you get it home?? Very nice deal.

And so the dreaded(not really) tool affliction spreads to another victim!:roflmao:

Is that the 8x30 table version? If so I have the Taiwan knock off, its a perfect garage size IMHO. About the smallest size you can get with a real knee.

How much did that weigh and how did you get it home?? Very nice deal.

The manual I found says it weighs about 750lb.

I moved the table all the way down and back to get the CG low and back. Then I pulled the head out enough to clear the colum and inverted it to lower the CG. I also put 4 25lb shot bags on the back of the base to level the load when I lifted it. I picked it up with my cherry picker with a 3' sling wrapped twice around the ram, and put it on my 4'x8' utility trailer.

I lag bolted it to the bed of the trailer and attached 5 heavy duty ratcheting straps to keep it from moving. the mill was easy compared to the lathe.

i was so busy moving the mill and lathe in 2 trips that I didn't have time to take a single photo.

here is a picture of it being place in position in my shop. You can see how I slinger and lifted it.

Chris

77913c7f980660fa9f551c1a322f88e9_zps3ec603f1.jpg

Last edited:
Back