Bought an Atlas Craftsman lathe, need some help identifying some parts, accessories and tooling

I partially took apart the lathe bed turret (thanks, Robert/wa5cab for the correct terminology) and it appears that it has some "homemade" elements to adapt a purchased turret to the lathe. There is a tailstock base that has 2 pieces of metal stacked on each other to raise the device high enough to meet the centerline/z-axis, along with a clamp to clamp it to the bed. The device itself looks manufactured, but there are no marks on it at all. I did another Google search, both images and the whole internet, and couldn't find anything that looked like this one. Ooh, Rare! Vintage! J/K.

I'm starting to figure out what all the accessories are as well, thanks to you all for your help. Your comments put me on the right track, or confirm what I thought.

It works well, I just don't need it. I think I'm going to clean it up, reassemble it and sell the device and all the tooling together. I've seen the tools for $10-$50, depending on what they are and what condition they are in. I have about 20 accessories and about 20 cutters.
Let me know if any of you want to buy it before I list it on CL or Ebay. The cheapest one I could find on Ebay (Dec 2020) was a Logan 11" swing for $232 (listed for $150+ $82 for shipping). I'm guessing it could be adapted to almost any size lathe. This one fits a 12" Atlas Craftsman 101.

More trivia about the manufacturer's name or description but I've always called and seen it in print that the hand tool for thinning or flattening wood was called a "plane' and the machine tool for doing it "wholsale" was a planer. The jig or fixture that @mmcmdl found the papers on says "planer' for the blade from a plane.

Here is some more tooling. If anyone knows the proper names and function, please let me know. These are all for a lathe bed turret. I was able to find some of them as noted, but still would like to know what they are for. They cleaned up really nice; I was able to unstick some mechanisms and reveal names and model numbers.:

12. I think I posted this before, but here it is again. It appears to be some sort of "floating" tool holder. If you loosen the screws on the flange, the z-axis location can be adjusted. I think maybe you leave it a little loose so the bit aligns with the hole as it goes in.
It has a graduated collar (0.10") on it with numbers from 0 to 25 (30 graduations in all) as well.
I'm not sure what the sloped parts are for; there is nothing that looks like they hold anything.
DSC00454.JPG

13. Some sort of cutter holder. I'm not sure if the cutter is installed correctly; it is as I got it.
DSC00440.JPG

14. Tool holder. The hole without a fastener is not threaded and is at a very slight angle; it is not perpendicular to the surface.
DSC00441.JPG

15. I think this is for fine finishing. Has rollers and a cutter. Maybe similar to #16?
DSC00442.JPG

16. Has a pointed cutter opposite a "V" groove. Has B&S 45-400 stamped on it. Looks like a box tool with a V rest designed for light finishing cuts where fine finishes and close tolerances. Used also for general work on brass and aluminum.

Reference: http://www.brown-sharpe.com/box-tools-carbide-v-rests.htm. I was able to find out quite a bit on this site, but not everything.
DSC00453.JPG

17. Tool holder
DSC00445.JPG

18. Cutter head. This look more like a milling cutter, but it was put with all the lathe parts. I'm not sure how it's held, either; there is no shaft with the parts that fits it.
DSC00448.JPG DSC00449.JPG

19. I posted this as well, but it appears that the top cylinder rotates in one direction only and moves along the z-axis about 1/8". Maybe a drill/tap goes in the hole? The pins stop the rotation, I think.
DSC00450.JPG DSC00451.JPG

20. This is a die holder. It works the same as #19, so maybe one is for the die and one is for the tap?
DSC00452.JPG

21. Tool holder
DSC00446.JPG

22. Not sure what this actually does. The lever (partially out of the frame) moves the block with three holes back and forth. The slotted screws tighten the block on the dovetail. There is nowhere to insert anything other than the three holes. I'm not even sure which way this is supposed to be oriented. Any ideas?
DSC00447.JPG

These had various manufacturers stamped on them: B&S, Alco Tool Co., Wirth & Son, C. Taylor (BHAM), and Allison Tool & Eng (LA). A Google search on each turned up nothing, except for B&S, which I figured was Brown and Sharpe. The rest were something else or there was nothing tool-related.

I would like to sell these along with the turret, so if anyone is interested, let me know. I will post them for sale on this forum at some point, but I'd like to be able to list what I have with a little more detail.

Last edited:
Back