Bought an Atlas Craftsman lathe, need some help identifying some parts, accessories and tooling

ARC-170

Jeff L.
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I have acquired an Atlas Craftsman 101.27440 lathe. I bought it for the QCGB to put on my 101.07403.

Questions:
1. Is the difference between a 27440 and a 07403 that one has a QCGB and one does not? They have the same parts manual.

2. What is this turret tailstock? The lathe came with some sort of turret tailstock. You move the handle to advance the tool. there's a little "Gatling Gun"-type contraption on the right that rotates and clicks with detents. I can't figure out what it does. Here are some pictures from various angles:
DSC00410.JPG

DSC00411.JPG

DSC00412.JPG

DSC00413.JPG

I haven't unloaded it yet from my truck or taken any of the tools off. It is not sliding easily off the lathe bed, but it will move when tapped with a rubber hammer. There are no easily identifiable marks or anything on it, but it does have grime and surface rust. It seems to move easily, but I haven't really played with it much.

3. Are these tools part of the turret tailstock?
The lathe came with tons of tooling. These were stored as you see them in the green Styrofoam and I think they go to the turret tailstock. I can take more close-ups later. I should note the seller had a mill as well, but he was selling all this as part of the lathe, so I think it goes with the lathe. The bits on the right appear to be some sort of grinder/polisher bits.
DSC00414.JPG

4. Which of these faceplates should I keep for my lathe?
There are 5 total. They appear to have 1-3/8" diameter threads (except one as noted). I'll have to confirm they fit after I clean them.
DSC00416.JPG
Upper left: 7-3-/8" diameter
Lower left: 8"
Top Right: 4", appears to have a smaller thread diameter
Mid Right: 6-1/2", has LA-170-1 cast into it.
Bottom right: 5-1/8"

5. Which chucks should I keep?
I have 7 chucks as well (only 6 are shown). Only 3 have keys. At least two of them use a hex drive. Why would someone have so many chucks? I already have a 3- and a 4-jaw.

I also have a bunch of tool post tool holders, drill chucks and some other stuff I will post later.

I would like to clean up and sell most of this to offset the cost of the lathe. I bought it for the QCGB. I thought I would take the QCGB off and mount it to my machine and put the non-QCGB parts on the one I bought. Then, I'll clean the lathe up and sell it. I thought I might sell the turret tailstock tool post separately, but let me know if I should do otherwise. I would also like to sell some of the other stuff I don't already have as well.

More to come as I go through it all. I'd like to clean the grease and rust off and look for brands and part/model numbers.

The tail stock is a tail stock turret and the tools go on it to make parts a certain size really quick once it is set up that is a lot of chucks!

Jeez you're picking apart a fully-equipped lathe for the QCGB. It's your lathe and your money, but somebody's going to feel sensitive about it. I just hope that you redistribute the ghost of that Atlas on eBay.

The turret is a very useful tool for performing multiple lathe operations (tailstock operations) in one setup. It's used for production of quantities, because the setup time isn't worth it for one or two parts. I'd argue it's worth keeping, as well as all tooling associated with it. Else, a buyer will find you on ebay.

For a face plate, I'd keep the six slot one for both 3-jaw and 4-jaw fixturing. I'd also keep the small drive plate (the one I most often use because I like working between centers). Chucks will need to be looked at. Old, brown chucks like those may hold tight and true for many years, or be clapped and bellmouthed. Brand means little on an old chuck, condition will be the basis for selection. Pick the best independent chuck and the best scroll chuck of the bunch.

That's my advice.

The "gatling gun" you refer to is an adjustable stop for each tool position on the turret.

The turret tailstock doesn't look like the Atlas built one (which I have one of). The main body of the Atlas one looks very similar (except for the depth stops that index with the turret and the lever actuator) to the regular10" tailstock and sits on the standard 10" 10D-6 base. The 12" one is the same as the 10" except that it sits on a 2" tall base. The Atlas tailstock turret uses the same main casting as the simpler lever operated tailstock. If you have any use for it, keep it. Otherwise, look through other brand catalogs and try to ID it before trying to sell it.

The spindle nose threads on all of the Atlas 9", 10" and 12" are 1-1/2"-8, not 1-3/8"-8. However, if you measured the thread ID instead of OD, that is about what you would get. So the threads are probably 1-1/2"-8 and probably do fit the Atlas.

Assuming that the threads fit the Atlas, keep the 8" dia. 4-Slot. It is actually a lathe dog driver plate, not a face plate. Although it is usable as a face plate. And keep the 6-slot one. You probably don't need the smaller ones but keep any that have anything odd about them (such as 3-slot, 5-slot, etc).

That smallest diameter faceplate might actually be a backing plate for mounting a chuck. If so, I'd keep that. You could use it to mount an ER style collet chuck for example. On the chucks, I agree condition wins over size. Do you have the outside jaws for the scroll chucks? It will significantly (adversely) affect value if not. Some people keep two scroll chucks, one set up with inner the other outer gripping jaws because it's quicker to mount a chuck than swap the jaws. The turret is very useful if you ever see yourself making multiples of the same part with features that require tool changes, but if not, it probably takes longer to set up the turret than it does to make a single part but it can hold some tools a MT tailstock ram cannot.

Best,
Kelly

I couldn't find any info on the turret tailstock. I found one that has a hex turret that is similar, but nothing else. Mine seems to closely resemble a Logan. Maybe when I clean it I'll find some identifying marks. Stay tuned.

I think these tools go with it, but I thought I'd post them and see if anyone knew what they were.

6. FLAP WHEEL BARREL
Is this what I think it is, or something else? I've never seen one for a lathe, but this looks like it came this way. Are these useful? It's wider than a grinder-mounted one. I couldn't find anything on "spindle-mounted flap wheel" or "barrel flap wheel". I've shown it mounted in my lathe and up close. It's either worn and well-used, or something other than sandpaper or cloth. I couldn't find replacement barrels/cylinders that were 5" in diameter like this one.
DSC00417.JPG DSC00418.JPG

7. CHISEL/PLANE ACCESSORY (?)
I'm not sure what this is. Anyone know? It came as part of the lathe, so I'm assuming it's some accessory for the machine.
DSC00419.JPG DSC00420 A.JPG
EDIT: It's a honing jig for plane blades.

8. CUTTER HOLDER #1
I think this holds a slitting saw. The big round cylinders do not rotate.
DSC00423.JPG DSC00424.JPG

9. TOOL HOLDER #2
This has a threaded hole and a set screw on the side. Generic or for a specific tool?
DSC00425.JPG

10. TOOL HOLDER #3
This came as you see it. The collar has graduations with numbers. I'm not sure what the flanges do; they are just bolted together.
DSC00426.JPG

11. TOOL HOLDER #4
Similar to #3, but the inside hole surfaces are smooth. The bigger cylinder is spring-loaded; it can be pulled along the Z-axis, then springs back.
DSC00427.JPG

I'm guessing that many of these tools are for the turret tailstock. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Item 7 . A planer blade hone ? I've had one similar laying down on the basement floor for years now , never knew what the heck it was or came off of . It makes sense now , I sold a planer a while back . :grin:

11 could be a self releasing tapping head if it will spin when fully extended .

First, the turret is called a bed, not tailstock, turret. But it still isn't the one that Atlas and Sears sold. Very similar except that the Atlas one had rack and pinion traverse drive instead of the lever operator. And the traversing arms rotated in the vertical plane.

#6, 7, 8 I don't know, except that #8 is not for a slitting saw. But it may fit in the turret.

#9 is a simple holder for a Weldon shank drill bit or end mill.

#10 I don't know. But it looks incomplete. There is nothing in the four longitudinal slots.

#11 is a holder for a threading die. The spring allows limited longitudinal movement of the die WRT the turret slide and turret.

Also, to answer what may have been your first question, the two differences between 101.07403 and the other two (101.27430 and 101.27440) are first the 101.07403 has change gears whereas the other two have a QCGB. And second, the 101.07403 originally came in four bed lengths and you had to specify the catalog number to specify the length. Whereas 101.27430 had a 42" bed for 24" Center to Center and 101.27440 had a 54" bed for 36" C to C. A bit of trivia - the first parts manual for the three models was the first exploded view or illustrated parts manual that Atlas did for Sears.

Back