Bought a few QCTPs to compare quality in inexpensive brands.

The CH will also vary based on the size tooling you are using as well as the holder and if you plan to use any oversized holders. Jbolt did an extensive review of holders (should be a sticky for others) in previous posts, and there are many other posts on the subject. Although you can mix and match holders, some may not fit wither w/o shimming or milling which is a real PTA. So once you find ones that work for your size lathe I would recommenced getting a bunch of them. Since QCTP also vary in dimensions, I would recommend waiting until you have the lathe and determine the size tooling you plan to use and check fitment then.

What is CH? Is that the distance over the compound to the center of the chuck? I measured my 1236T at 3.45".

Correction: The 3.45" is over the cross slide. I'll remeasure this morning.

I just checked mine over the Compound this time, LOL 1.22in /31mm.

I used an angle grinder with a cutoff disk to create my T-nut from the chunk of steel that my QCTP came with. Carefully lay out your cut lines, then cut to the lines. At the end, you'll have two rectangular pieces of steel cut out from the chunk. Dress up the new T-nut with a file if you want. "File to fit, paint to match!"
I like your thinking....:)

The OP has a 1236T with a CH of 1.20" using a BXA QCTP, so his issue is going to be getting the tool low enough - this will restrict the maximum shank size he can handle without resorting to a QC tool holder with excessively low tool pocket.
Over time ill end up with both AXA and BXA tooling, What's not to like...

The Accusize AXA QCTP set came today... Hoping Saturday I can get some alone time with it, to check it out.
I have a Shars tool holder on the way to see its quality and was thinking maybe I should get a Phase II tool holder as well.

I ordered another Colton tool holder to check it against the other one that's questionable, and Davidpbest index book should be here Sunday...
Wish there was a Lathe place here to just go see it all... :)

Accusizekit.jpg

Hello all... Today I finished comparing Fit, Finish & Measurement differences between Accusize and the Colton AXA set, I cant speak to functionality of either set just yet.

Country of origin for both sets is China, which is not printed or stamped on either set.

Price on Amazon as of 03/11/23 - Colton 5 piece set $149.00 and the Accusize 6 piece set $262.00. Both sets have a nice finish, At first glance the Colton set appears more professional until closer observation are made such as the beveled edges being less consistent and height adjustment screw being severed and not machined. Both sets are visually nice with the Accusize set nudging ahead with a little better machining.

The Height Adjustment on the Colton has a longer reach by about a .25" and the adjustment knob is wider & easier to grasp than the Accusize.

The Accusize tool holders were precise when measured @ 3.0" L x 1.0" W x 1.5" H and the tool post height was 2.25". The Colton was .016 taller. some measurements of the Colton tool holders were off a tad but the dimensions of both sets are pretty close holder for holder.

The Colton tool holder set screws were just a hair looser than the Accusize, a lot of people I've read swap them out anyways. I forgot to check and see if they are hardened, does anyone know if set screws should be hardened...?

The Accusize website says their AXA QCTP is suitable for a lathe center heights of 0.60 - 1.75" ( top of compound surface to the lathe centerline ). The Colton tools website just says for use on lathes with up to a 12″ swing.

If I was on a tight budget I would buy the Colton set, face and chamfer the height adjusting screw add some thread locker and be happy...

101XL.jpg
Endthread.jpg
ColtPostEnd.jpg
AccuPostEnd.jpg
Vways.jpg

I'll have more info on these down the road after I mount them.

Last edited:
The chinese toolholders have a reputation for having soft set screws. After repeated use, the ends may become mushroomed and the hex socket may eventually become rounded, making them difficult to remove.

I think many people go ahead and install quality screws... I have not done that on mine, and haven't had any problems, but I don't tend to overtorque the screws.

-Bear

Hello peoples..
The Shars AXA holder came today, and to my surprise the machined body finish appears to be an identical twin to the Colton 250-102 tool holder... The beveled edges were a bit more consistent than the Colton holder.

5 of the faces were machined nicely but the 6th side looked like its initial dimensioning and left as is, its measurements were 3.0" L x 1.0" W x 1.491" H. The V-Ways were visibly the same size as the Colton holder, and It also shares the larger adjusting knob and smaller nut like the Colton holder.

The height adjustment post has a finished end and is shorter than the Colton holder, The main difference I found between these two holders was the hex Set-Screws all had a dimple, that may be a positive or negative I don't know but will look into it..

The finish on this Shars holder is very good so I may buy the 6 piece set, one thing of note that ill probably call about is some of the holders like this one here have an ID number next to the Shars name while others do not, and other holders have Shars in a circle with a different font. the one seen below could just be a new version, It came direct from Shars tool company with their catalog.

1 Shars.jpg
2 Allparts.jpg
3 setscrew.jpg

Last edited:
I called precision Matthews today and they removed the BXA set from my purchase, I need the lathe in my hot little hands then ill work on tooling it up. What that means is I wont be comparing any BXA stuff on this particular thread. But I may add it later If I do go down that road.

Back