Borite Carbide boring bars, are they any good?

Amen to that,don't forget I'm left handed, we do things bass ackward.
You can imagine how often I've hit the wall and grind to a halt on almost every project I've started.
I am planing on getting rid of some of my woodworking tools to open up some space for a small Southbend lathe.

Ken this is an emergency, you need a lathe, a whole new level of living awaits.

When my very nice Monarch 10ee took an electrical dump on my shoe, I knew it would be a while till I got it back up to snuff. To get my fix of watching metal go round and round I bought a used Harbor Freight mini lathe. They are what they are, so no need to rehash its virtues and weaknesses but it let me make things and it was such a far cry from what a working 10ee is it encouraged me to get off my butt and figure out what was wrong with it and fix. Fifteen years later I still have the mini lathe, use it occasionally for polishing or turning cast iron. Could probably sell it for what I paid for it but no need to. Get a small beater to play with till your dream lathe comes around, mans got to have a lathe or 3.

We all know that will change but in the mean time you could always use the mill to machine like a lathe. It's about as limited as it is milling on a lathe (possibly more) but it can be done & people do it.
As a matter of fact I have been exploring all the possibilities ,(of using my mill like a lathe) ,just got a 3" rotary table and mounted a 3" chuck on it but I find centering the RT/chuck a bit time consuming although once done, it does open up a whole new alternative options.

Ken this is an emergency, you need a lathe, a whole new level of living awaits.
So true.it is an emergency:encourage:.
I'm convinced I need a lathe but I'm torn between two choices , A= get a new lathe (small) most likely Chinese /import and not deal with worn out parts,ways,bent spindle/lead screw etc, or B= muster up some patience and look for a used but US made one.
I'm seriously leaning toward option A, have been looking at Little Machine Shop LMS #5100 (7 x 16 mini lathe).that size will fit perfectly in my shop and seems to be a very capable lathe.

Back