Boring Head For 8520

JPigg55

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I'm looking to purchase a boring head for use on my 8520.
Anyone using one on theirs that they're happy with ?
Are there any available in MT2 arbor with counter balance option ?

I got my setup from Enco. Basically choose the arbor you need and the head threads on.
It was an import but it works well for the few things I've done. (from memory) it has 3 holes along the bottom and one on each end to fit the tools in. It gives you plenty of choices for size(s) of bore.
A friend of mine saw it and was impressed with the features for the price, and he's a 40 year professional machinist. If you'd like or need info, call out and I'll see what I can do.

I've got the same one from Enco. It is a 2" model and uses boring bars with a 1/2" shank. Here is a list of what I bought along with the price I paid back in January. In some way the 3" model would have been nice, but it uses 3/4" shank boring bars and if I remember correctly there is not an MT2 shank available for the 3" model.

Model No ---- Description ------------------------------------------------------------ Price each
220-1500 ---- 2" W/1/2 RND HOLE OFFSET BORING HEAD --------------- $66.33
505-7062 ---- 7/8-20 ADAP 3/8-16 2MT MT THREADED DRAW BAR ---- $23.37
375-1202 ---- 9/PC EB 1/2"SHK C2 CARBIDE BORING BAR SET -------- $51.65

It works just fine and is capable of handling the tasks I need it for. I also made a dead center that fits in it so that I can use it as an offset in the lathe tailstock for those quick and dirty tapers. When using it in the tailstock, it is necessary to put a 3/8" cap screw in the drawbar end of the MT2 shank so that it will self eject when the tailstock is retracted.

Do you have any vibration issues with larger diameter boring ?

No, but when cutting a larger diameter a heavy feed can cause the drive belt to slip, stalling the spindle. As for vibration, if it becomes a problem, simply slow down the spindle to an acceptable speed. There are ideal cutting speeds for each material, but you can often cut slower with equal results.

20160317_175025.jpg
I bought this off eBay, showed up today. Looks like new.
I'll have to order a MT2 drawbar adapter for it as the shaft that came with it is too large for my mill.
Came with the 3 inserts and he tossed in the 4 carbide boring bars as well.
Not a bad deal for $135.

SWEET! looks like a nice setup. What's that collet? 8?

Not sure, a lot bigger than my mill will take for sure.
I'll take a look see if any markings on it.

I think that 34_40 meant "R8".

Back