boring bars and threading tools

bosephus

Registered
Registered
i have been looking for a boring bar and an internal threading tool for my er40 collet chuck project .
in the process i have managed to over load my brain with information .
i keep looking at the ar warner stuff .. but its way more then i have to spend .

throw some ideas at me ... one thing to keep in mind it has to be compatible with the turret style tool post on my g0602 ( 1/2 inch tooling )
and kinda cost effective . i would also be open to purchasing any used tooling someone might not have a use for any longer

You could always make them if you have the tools to do so

i realy like how he made that threading tool , sadly i dont own a single end mill to copy it , or have any drill rod left to make one with

I like the price of the mesa threading tool versus the ar warner . I think it may be a winner once i save a few bucks

Keep in mind that the ar warren has hss inserts that can be laid flat on a stone and re sharpened. Plus being hss they will be more forgiving than carbide on interrupted cuts and slow speeds

Also keep in mind you can get inserts from arwarner for the Mesa threading tool. I also use the Mesa boring bar with Warner inserts. The Warner inserts are tough and easily resharpened, as chuck already stated. Been a good combo for me. I did modify the Warner threading inserts by grinding the bottom of insert into a crescent shape to provide relief. I've threaded as small as 15/16-28 internal with them so far. Much smaller and you'll need a smaller tool. For that, the shars brazed carbide works well. They come already sharp. Very sharp!

Richard

i have been weighing my options and counting my pennies , thanks to some good advice this is what i have come up with .

if you think i am making a bad purchase or have a better solution please do feel free to comment .

i have enough money to buy these tools to finish my er 40 chuck and to have for general use after .

for threading i am going to buy the mesa tools half inch threading and grooving tool

boring bars .., i am going to get the half inch turn and boring tool along with the half inch x 6 inch boring bar

hopefully those along with my current 3/8 boring bar should take care of most of the basic tools i need for awhile .
the total comes to $107 shipped to my door , if i have enough "fun" money left i am also going to buy hss inserts from ar warner for all three tools .
if not my little g0602 should handle the carbide untill i do get the hss inserts

Back