boring bar

kd4gij

Active User
Registered
Is enybody familiar with walter boring bars I picked up one 1 1/4 dia by 14" long the number on the side is S20U-SSKCL4. I need to know what inserts fit it. Looks like about 7/16" square with strait sides. Might be Walter Waukesha.

Thanks Senna

per Carbide depot Boring bar standers I found out S=solid steel, 20=1 1/4" dia, U=14" long.
S=Screw lock only, S=Square insert,K= 15Deg end cut, C=7 deg relief, L= left hand, 4= 1/2" insert.

So I need 1/2" square inserts that cut on bouth side witch will give me 8 cutting edges. Now just need the insert number.

Well it looks like I need SNMP 432 or 433 inserts Just need to get ahold of 1 to try before I buy a hole box.

Thanks Senna

per Carbide depot Boring bar standers........ C=7 deg relief,.......

I believe you need a positive rake insert, not negative rake. So you need to look for SPG or SPU to start with.

Post a picture of the pocket, that will tell us for sure what you need.

Ken

The sides of the pocket are 90 deg to the bottom of the insert. So I am loking for double sided inserts witch have 0 deg relife. I hope that will work

$(KGrHqZ,!h4E6GpGDyyqBOsE-C5f)w~~60_57.JPG

$(KGrHqZ,!h4E6GpGDyyqBOsE-C5f)w~~60_57.JPG

I see you pulled the picture from the eBone listing for this boring bar.

I was able to find this boring bar on Walter Tools website. It was difficult, they sure don't make it easy.

Anyways, this is a screw down insert positive rake bar. The inert you are looking for is a SC style like a SCGT in a 1204 size. A insert number like SCGT120408 or SCGT 432 is what you are looking for. Carbidedepot website may show other letter designations for the GT in the ISO number.

A negative insert like SNMG will not work in this bar.

Thanks 4gsr

I have some SCMT 432 on the way. Do you have the link to this bar on Walters websight. I can not find it.

Like I said, It is very hard to search their website. I tried looking for it again this morning. Took me to a totally different page, with a dead end. But i did find this.

It is a A20S-SSKCL09.

You are not going to find your number, A20S-SSCL04. The 04 in the destination is the old ANSI specification for 1/2" IC insert. In the ISO system it is "12".

But Walter does not show a A20S-SSKCL12. They show a A24S-SSKCL12. But this one has a larger OD shank. I'm sure yours as well as the one offered on eBone were special made and never sold. Or the contract ended and these were "left overs". And we wonder why car makers charge so much for a vehicle!

http://oc.walter-tools.com/sap(cz1T...1yLXFaVi1BVFQ=)/bc/gui/sap/its/ZZWALTEROSTORE

Thanks

I did get the boring bar from that ebay for about half asking price. And it is in better shape than the one pictured.It has never been used. Shoul work nice for what I need it for.

IMAG0046.jpgIMAG0047.jpg

IMAG0046.jpg IMAG0047.jpg

The main thing is you can find inserts for it! That' what counts!

I have a couple of tool holder I've bought over the years that I haven't yet found a source for inserts! One of them, I found a insert that half ways work, but will require re-grinding a little to make it work.

Another rainy day project.

Back