Boring bar question?

pjf134

Active User
Registered
I have a lantern type boring bar that I would like to use on my quick change tool post heavy duty boring bar holder as shown on CDCO site. I know I will need some kind of adapter for this, as the one I have is smaller. Has anyone done this before, which I assume they have, I would like some ideas? The armstrong holder is too big to fit the regular 1/2" high tool holder.
Paul

I have a pic of the two parts that I would like to interchange. The quick change holder has a straight thru hole with no way of holding bar, so I assume a adapter is needed for it to work for a store bought bar, since the two screws at top do not clamp a straight shaft bar in place.
Paul

08-28-11_1113.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the replies, it gave me some ideas. I think I will put the boring bar I have into another holder (open side) and mill one or two sides flat for the hold down screws. I do have some 3/4" dia. bar that I can use for the sleave type holder, and maybe just use the end piece off the armstrong latern type or make a square hole in the 3/4 bar. Since I do not use boring bars alot I might just make the two up and go from there. I only need a boring bar for one project now and may not use it for awhile after that. The qc holder looks like 5/8" dia. w/ sleeve in and the armstrong is around 1/2" dia. as I forgot to measure them when I was in the shop today.
Paul

Paul, the only trouble with milling a flat on your round bar and using an open face holder is you are stuck with with that setting and always have to grind your tool the same way. if you use a bushing you have more adjustment.

I took apart the armstrong boring assy., it was rusty and banged up abit, so I cleaned it up on wire wheel and tryed to put it in the open side holder but was a little too big for the 1/2" opening. I then put it in the lathe and trued it up and got it running true at the tool end, but got to do the rest of the bar tommorrow, at least it fits in the holder and got the dings out of it. It looked like someone used a pipe wrench on it. The QC holder has a groove at the bottom and fits nice now, so I might try it like it until I make the other bar for the heavy duty holder. That boring assy. came with the lathe and I never used it, it was as rusty as the rest of the lathe back in Feb. So for now I will finish the bar and get some short 1/4" HHS bits and that will be another project out of the way. I do have a long 1/4" bit, but I use it for something else.
Paul

Paul, Did you eves use this company http://www.arwarnerco.com/ local guy and real nice if u call tell Mike i sent u. The T15 HHS tool steel is real good and he will sell one piece at a time. i use all his inserts instead of carbide. much better finish. Ask about Vipers venom cuttung oil great stuff and only $5 a bottle

Thanks Chief96,
I did check out the web site but there was no pricing there. I guess I will have to order some other pieces to make it worth while for the shipping charges, since it is a little far for me to go there for only a couple of dollars worth of stuff.
Paul

Back