Blueprint Cabinet

pineyfolks

Active User
Registered
Is anyone using a blueprint cabinet for tools storage? I found some that are 50 x 50" square. I'm thinking of using them as a table in the middle of my Shop.

I worked a largish shop where we had on in QC. Good for instruments because they generally lay only one layer deep and don't get all stacked up. We had a drawer for blade mics, one for small plug gages, one for small ring gages, etc.

I wouldn't mind having one myself. They can be useful. Just mind the drawer depth. Tall stuff that won't lay down pretty low profile won't fit.

Are they built as heavy as your average toolbox? I just don't want to load them and have the drawers bow.

I'd say yes, but there is a caveat......the drawers are very wide, with no ribs for stiffening. You could pop rivet some Al angle down the middle and cure that though. I had that one loaded pretty good. 3 guys couldn't lift it. There was some bowing, but not unacceptable.

Sounds good. I'm waiting to see if this deal goes through Friday.

I gave 2 of those away because I needed the room. Got them for nothing as they were sitting in a back room at work doing nothing.

Is anyone using a blueprint cabinet for tools storage? I found some that are 50 x 50" square. I'm thinking of using them as a table in the middle of my Shop.

I had a friend in NJ that was a tool junkie, He filled drawing cabinets like those with tools. It worked great everything in one layer in each drawer. This guy was really a tool junkie, when he went to the local flea markets the regulars knew him by name & saved unusual tools for him. Every time I would visit him he would show me his recent purchase, many times he would ask if I knew what it was as he had no idea, but it looked good. Really miss him.

fixit

I have a stack of them and I love them. The drawers are deeper than a typical Craftsman toolbox drawer, they just look shallower because they are so wide. I have had no issues with over loading, but the drawers on mine are full extension and might cause the cabinet to tip if too heavy/not counterbalanced.

Back