Block of steel/cast iron wanted

akjeff

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Ebay to the rescue, steel is incoming!

Last edited:
You can inscribe a 3 3/4” square in a 5.3” circle. Thus, you can buy a 3” length of 6” round bar.

For example,

or

or

or

or

or

or

Last edited:
I was very thorough about searching eBay, but I did not find mild steel or cast iron.

Thanks E! Got be on the right path. I was able to find and ebay seller who had 1045 steel, which should be fine.:encourage:

USPS prices for the flat rate boxes has revolutionized ordering metal online.

My local steelyard is always more expensive than eBay (for items that fit in a flat rate box).

USPS prices for the flat rate boxes has revolutionized ordering metal online.

My local steelyard is always more expensive than eBay (for items that fit in a flat rate box).

Isn't that the truth! Flat Rate boxes are a life saver up here in Alaska. Total game changer. Had a pair of press plates for my shop press shipped in flat rate mailers from SWAG Offroad( awesome people and products). Barely squeaked under the weight limit! Got the **** eye from the mailman! :grin: FedEx now has flat rate boxes as well, but I've not tried them yet, and I don't know that many businesses are aware of them.

1144 (stress-proof) would be good to look for as well. Machines nicely.

Can't ponder what locations all you reside in, but my favorite supply was ASCO Metals, Santa Fe Springs CA.
A36, HR, CR, A2, D2, 01, W1, S series, H series, 4000 series............remnants up the wazoo. I moved, they haven't.
I recommend a bit of google and phone call. Wouldn't be surprised they conduct internet like they used to over the counter.

Back