"Blank" AXA tool holders?

cdhknives

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Does such a thing as a AXA toolholder 'blank' exist that is dovetailed and drilled for the height adjustment bolt but otherwise solid? I do not have a mill but want to build a special tool holder. Specifically I want to mount a rotating shaft to my toolpost so I can drill from the toolpost into something held in the chuck, using the chuck as a makeshift dividing head. I do not think the regular boring tool holders have enough meat to open up for this...to fit a bearing and a 1/2" shaft through them. I have watched a couple of how-to videos making such a tool and the dovetail is something I can't figure out how to make with only a lathe even if I had a collet chuck and a dovetail cutter. I do have 3C collets and some endmills...with some experience using them.

I can not picture how to make such a tool holder unless at minimum the dovetail was already cut. I can not find such a part anywhere. Custom machining is going to be cost prohibitive...and I need to learn these skills by doing it myself anyway.

I have though about trying to build a live spindle on my saddle. Most of the reasonable cost stuff is R11 collet engravers. Above that and again cost is prohibitive.

Thought about building an oilite sleeve for the boring toolholder and a thrust bearing...didn't think that would be very rigid.

Running out of ideas. Suggestions??? The goal is precisely spaced pin wrench holes in an endcap and a matching custom pin wrench. The endcap is already finished. 2024 Al material.

Why not just make up such a holder that can be held in a AXA1 toolholder ? I made up a few to hold die grinders in the past .

If you have the 3/4” boring bar tool holder you can use that one. Use a piece of 5/8” drill rod and two bearings with a 5/8” ID and ?? OD. Bore two pockets in the holder at both ends of the holder to hold the bearings that will support the drill rod. Thread the drill rod for the chuck and turn down the other end for the motor drive. Use a shaft collar with a small spacer to locate the drill rod in the holder against the chuck side bearing to act as the thrust bearing.
Or start with 1” drill rod and turn down the center section to fit through leaving a flange on the chuck side to locate and be part of a thrust bearing and the opposite end a shaft collar to hold it together.
Lots of ways to do this build.
Projects in Metal had a build.

This topic a few years ago is the basically the same thing. https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/shop-made-axa-toolpost-cross-drilling-fixture.49064/
YouTube
Pierre

Last edited:
Needle bearings will handle high radial loads with a minimum O.D. requirement. Bearings for a 1/2" shaft will fit within a 3/4" bore. A ball trust bearing will handle the axial loads.

I though about a oilite bronze bearing material for a sleeve. I didn't think it would be as rigid/precise as a bearing. I am talking about cordless drill RPM's here.

I just measured, my boring bar toolholder is 3/4" ID and could be opened up a bit if needed. Might go that direction, they are cheap enough...thanks!

...found brass and oilite bushings that fit my AXA boring tool holder with 1/2" ID, so a thrust washer and threaded shaft for the chuck are all I need to build. That'll work! Thanks!

I was gonna make a carriage mounted drill from a boring bar holder but saw a kit for it on Bangood for under $10 that came with the shaft, chuck, body and ball bearings. I just stuck it in a multipurpose holder that I had welded up previously.

Attachments

• DSC_0005.JPG
    DSC_0005.JPG
    34.4 KB · Views: 46
  • DSC_0006.JPG
    DSC_0006.JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 46
  • DSC_0008.JPG
    DSC_0008.JPG
    34.2 KB · Views: 49
  • DSC_1068.JPG
    DSC_1068.JPG
    31.8 KB · Views: 53
In a given volume you will be able to fit a bigger shaft if you use a sleeve type bearing. For a hand drill powered setup I'd think that a sleeve would be rigid and precise enough.

I though about a oilite bronze bearing material for a sleeve. I didn't think it would be as rigid/precise as a bearing. I am talking about cordless drill RPM's here.

I just measured, my boring bar toolholder is 3/4" ID and could be opened up a bit if needed. Might go that direction, they are cheap enough...thanks!

Back