Black oxide coating

rmack898

Active User
Registered
Can anyone recommend an inexpensive, simple, one step black oxide coating system?

I just finished the first run of a tool that I will be marketing and I think black oxide will be better than paint but I don't want to spend a fortune on it.

Can anyone recommend an inexpensive, simple, one step black oxide coating system?

I just finished the first run of a tool that I will be marketing and I think black oxide will be better than paint but I don't want to spend a fortune on it.

What material?

Here's what I use. It's very good. Degrease the parts first and wear gloves. The chemicals aren't all that bad but, skin oil will leave fingerprints all over the work piece. I go through a couple gallons of the stock solution every year. This stuff works...

http://www.caswellplating.com/metal-finishing-solutions/black-oxide-kits.html

Ray

Caswells stuff is good, I've never used the solution that Ray mentioned but it does look desirable due to the less harmful chemicals and quick bluing times. Here's my setup with bluing salts, although not cheap it will provide a deep, strong bluing (black oxide coating). It's used just as much for gun parts as it is for homemade tooling and general coatings. All this comes at the cost of hazardous chemicals but isn't too horribly expensive. It also requires a lot of heat.

Bluing.JPG

Another quick and dirty black oxide method is to used commonly available "Drain Out" drain cleaner. Oddly enough this is basically bluing salts perfectly proportioned. Once again though, this uses heat and hazardous salts. But, It also provides an excellent and deep black oxide coating.

Bluing.JPG

Last edited:
I can seond the recomendation for the Caswell black oxide kit as well. I have been using it for different projets and it does work! Only on a couple of occations have I had to "pre heat the steel for it to "take" when I did I suspended small parts in a bath of just boiling water for a few seconds , and it made a world of difference . YMMV!

I've used Van's Instant Gun Blue with good success.

I can seond the recomendation for the Caswell black oxide kit as well. I have been using it for different projets and it does work! Only on a couple of occations have I had to "pre heat the steel for it to "take" when I did I suspended small parts in a bath of just boiling water for a few seconds , and it made a world of difference . YMMV!

Yeah... Hardened metal -especially if it's been surface ground. The pores are very small and the oxidant doesn't take well. I warm the parts up in a toaster oven for a short while -and that works OK too.

Ray

Caswells stuff is good, I've never used the solution that Ray mentioned but it does look desirable due to the less harmful chemicals and quick bluing times. Here's my setup with bluing salts, although not cheap it will provide a deep, strong bluing (black oxide coating). It's used just as much for gun parts as it is for homemade tooling and general coatings. All this comes at the cost of hazardous chemicals but isn't too horribly expensive. It also requires a lot of heat.

View attachment 76445

Another quick and dirty black oxide method is to used commonly available "Drain Out" drain cleaner. Oddly enough this is basically bluing salts perfectly proportioned. Once again though, this uses heat and hazardous salts. But, It also provides an excellent and deep iron oxide coating.

If a DEA agent ever visits your place, make sure you tell them right away what that's for. And whatever you do, don't leave your supply of Sudafed tablets laying around....

Ray

Guys,once the part is oxide does this keep it from rusting or is it just mainly for looks?I'm doing a mill and some of the parts have the black oxide finish but where fingers have been you can see through the bluing and that is where its rusting some.Can the bluing be stored till the next time its needed??Sorry my mind is going 90mph,I can see me adding this to my finishing process----kroll

Back