Bit The Bullet On A Pm1340gt

joshua43214

Active User
Registered
Well, after a lot of internal debate, I took the dive and committed to a Precision Matthews PM1340GT today with the premium package.
http://www.machinetoolonline.com/PM1340T.html

I asked for a 3phase motor as well, but he might be out of stock on them. Every one seems to agree 3pahse and a VFD is the way to go with this machine. I am going to be on a rice and beans diet for the next half year to pay for it.

Look for pics in the near future. I will also update my moving a half ton mill to include moving a half ton lathe thread over in the newbie area.

Well done Sir! :applause:

I have the 3-phase/VFD setup on mine and love it. I'll be interested in your impressions of the components of the premium package, as Matt says those have been upgraded since I bought my lathe.

Great decision, a lot of happy machinist on this forum with that combination. Matt may have an extra 3 phase motor, or have an alternative motor to use with a VFD, but the motor/VFD does add significantly to the control of the lathe. Look forward to your review of the new chucks, they look much better than the past ones. Well worth the nominal increased cost of the deluxe package.

Congratulations! That looks like a great package.

Nice machine. They seem to be selling like hot cakes around here. I bet IHOP wishes thought of it.

I think you are making a good choice. I am not familiar with the PM product line, but you have gone after a good sized machine and getting those extra items at the beginning. I followed a similar approach with my first machine: those extras are no longer available for my machine. Also, you are getting a machine that is not too big / not too small will always be real handy even if you get a larger / smaller machine in the future. Going 3 phase also keeps your options open - again I think that is the way to go. Good job (pictures of the machine and of the first project are an expectation here). Regards, David

Congratulations, Joshua! That is a very nice machine and everything I've read on it has been positive. Support from Matt is going to be a lot better than DroPros, too, I suspect.

Back