Bijur oiler lens replacement

BCwoods

Registered
Registered
So this came off a boyar shultz 612 and the plastic lens has seen better days. Apparently somebody sprayed carb cleaner on it and the plastic lens kinda melted. This is from the early 70s abt ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_20220830_132013.jpg
    IMG_20220830_132013.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20220830_132010.jpg
    IMG_20220830_132010.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 15
I guess that would be some kind of plexiglass, but if it took such damage from hydrocarbon solvents, it may be made of the more brittle styrene or vinyl based plastic. Given the extent of the damage, you may have several choices available with nothing much to lose.

I would not expect you would be able to source a direct replacement, but the good news is, provided it is not extremely thin, you can grind away with abrasives, buffs, etc, back to a new surface, and get it to go transparent. If the solvent damage goes into deep discolouration, you have the option of contriving your own. First step is to figure out how it is held in there, and how to separate it from it's bezel, and how to re-seal it when you are done.

In my past, I have taken apart oil sight glasses on some industrial vacuum machines, and I opted to replace with circular discs cut in 3mm polycarbonate sheet from a DIY store, sealed up with epoxy. I did rub one with 400 grit car body paper, with soap and water, followed by 800 grit, then I moved on to toothpaste and a little Dremel buff. It actually worked!. One thing to watch out for is that if the buff is too aggressive, it can end up pushing overheated plastic along. By far the best was the replace with new discs cut from sheet.

It was also pretty clear to me that I could have used real glass, but that stuff is hard to cut circular. Glass discs of various diameters could possibly be purchased, but I just took the line of least resistance. Not exactly a lazy approach, because it took a while, and quite a lot of care, but the polycarbonate sheet worked well. Any sort of plexiglass, acrylic, whatever should be OK against oil, and alcohols like IPA. Anything stronger, like acetone, xylene, or styrene monomers would likely wreck it - and I think that includes brake cleaner!

I'll try tomorrow. And for those that will ever try, you can knock this sight glass out pretty easy. I hit it outside in.

Attachments

• IMG_20220830_192951.jpg
    IMG_20220830_192951.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 7
I spoke to Bijur a few years ago when I was trying to get a new motor for my pump on my 612 Deluxe (motor not available). Pretty sure they still spare that inspection window.

What's the diameter of the hole the sight presses into? I just made replacement sight glasses for my lathe, the cast acrylic rod was cheaper and quicker than ordering replacement parts. If it's large enough, I'll send you some.

You might check McMaster also. I replaced sight widows in my lathe and mill with ones they had in stock. Very surprised they had them but they did.

Fluidline sells Bijur sight glasses at somewhat reasonable prices. About $15 for the one that goes on the top of my Harig grinder - the Harig parts guy wanted $38 for the exact same part. Gen-u-wine glass, no worries about plastic getting et up by chemicals.

Ok called fluidsystems.net and got a new lens. The problem I have with bijur is that the company does not sell to individuals only thru dealers and minimum order was $45! Anyways 13 bucks later here you go

Attachments

• IMG_20220903_193941.jpg
    IMG_20220903_193941.jpg
    280.4 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Back