Best way to measure bores while piece is in milling vise?

Thanks guys for all the input. We have Starrett telescoping gauges in our shop and I use a Mitutoyo micrometer. I just wanted to see the best and quickest option for measuring these on the fly without lowering the Z axis so much. I think moving it and sending it back to the DRO readout coordinate will workout just fine for my purposes. My dial calipers have become my favorite tool for the mill so far so I try to use them until we start getting into half a thousandth and such. Thanks again!

As stated well above - telescopic gauge and mike or inside mike (depending on the project). To address z-axis room, shift X or Y axis and leave the other one locked. Set a mag back dial in a convenient location - you will be able to come back very close. I recommend using the handwheel dials as a duplicate indication (manage back lash correctly). Before I got the DRO I did quite a bit of position measuring with the table handwheels and had very good results (counting turns and managing backlash).

Me Too!

Telescoping gages and micrometers. I like Starrett's telescoping gages and small hole gages. Superb quality.

You've gotta develop (if you haven't already) a feel for when the snap or pop (telescoping) gauges and the mikes are just in touch.

When you say managing back lash on the dials, do you mean just turning them out all the way, then turning the other way and counting when it catches again?

When you say managing back lash on the dials, do you mean just turning them out all the way, then turning the other way and counting when it catches again?

No, not really. When you position the table, with the work piece attached to it, pay attention to which way you are cranking the handle, then lock the table and zero the dials. Take a cut with the boring head, or several. When you want to measure the bore, move one slide to give yourself room to measure the bore, then return the table to the same place by approaching from the same direction as when you set it up the first time.

You, should get comfortable with managing which way your backlash is. It is a fact of life in convention lead screw type machines, and I believe I'll advised to attempt to get rid of. A little back lash is fine and getting comfortable in managing it is a routine machining skill.

Back