Best Way To Hold A Fly Cutter?

Lood

Active User
Registered
I want to make myself a fly cutter and would like advice on the best way to hold it in my mill.
I'm thinking of using a left hand lathe tool, with carbide inserts, as the actual cutter and it will be held by three grub screws in the tool holder, which I'll be making.
My mill uses an ISO30 chuck and I have several chucks - ones that can accommodate Morse Tapered tools, one that holds a drill chuck, an ER32 collet chuck with several collets and also the original Clark Auto Lock chuck, with it's collets.

I would appreciate advice on the best way to hold a fly cutter, please.

My fly cutter has a thread in arbour. It came MT3 but i hardly ever take my er32 collet chuck outa the mill thease days so i made a strait shank to thread into it, can always thread the morse taper back in if I change my mind later :)

Does meen you can only spin it one way, well you can spin it backwards it's just a very bad idea :)

Stuart

I would go with the straight shank with a flat. As far as the carbide I would go with high speed as it handles the intermittent of fly cutting better.

Thanks for the replies. I just want to confirm:
Would an ER32 16mm collet be adequate to hold a fly cutter with a 16mm straight shank, and total body diameter of around 50mm? I plan to use 12mm shank tool.

If you are talking the tool bit 8 or 10 mm would be a good choice. 16 mm shank for your fly cutter would work.

Back