• IMG_9206.JPG
    IMG_9206.JPG
    288.9 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_9623.JPG
    IMG_9623.JPG
    237.7 KB · Views: 32
I use either a 6" Bridgeport on a swivel base like this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/333795216629?chn=ps&mkevt=1&mkcid=28

or an 8" Palmgren without the swivel like this, but without the added decorations:

I don't have a swivel base. There are times when that would be very handy.

I don't have a swivel base. There are times when that would be very handy.
I have one and use it quite often . I made up a a cool little one piece sine bar devise which makes set ups a breeze . :) Off to bed .

You don't like my metal shapes? Here are some more!

You're making me want a CNC plasma. That would not be good for the relationship with the wife. lol...

The cards kind of make me want to get a stack of those anodized aluminum business cards and laser card faces on them. They would be weird to try to play a game with, but look cool.

For the OP, 6" is a great size on a BP. I love my Kurt DX6. The one that came with the machine looks like the old school Bridgeport vises, but is labeled "KKK". I don't think is has anything to do with the pajama people, but it was an unfortunate company name. :) That one does have a swivel base, but I've never used it. I should think about it. If I ever find an inexpensive, large rotary table, I might mount the Kurt on it. The ones I see around here should be made from solid gold based on the asking price.

I'm a fan of the swivel base. What I have is a 6" import with swivel, reasonably priced and trams completely acceptably. That includes the base, at all angles. It's really handy for making insert tool holders with built in rake. Just set the holder bar in the vise at the right rake angle then swivel the base for whatever shape insert you're cutting out for. The scale is perfectly adequate to read down to maybe a quarter degree, which is fine enough for inserts.

A great feature of Bridgeports is the large Z axis working height, so the swivel base has never been any issue that way.

I ended up buying a Kurt DX6 vise.

Attachments

• Kurt DX6.jpg
    Kurt DX6.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 14
I've had a 6" Kurt for about 5 years. Works great, glad it isn't any heavier.

Back