Best Safety Glasses For Use Over Eye Glasses?

38Bill

Registered
Registered
I checked out the safety forum but didn't find much. I wear glasses and have always had issues with safety glasses and goggles. Does anybody have any recommendations for affordable safety glasses that work well with prescription eye wear? I have a complicated prescription that gets expensive so prescription safety glasses are not going to happen. Thanks.

My favorite is the Flinn Visor Goggles. They fit over my glasses well, don't fog up, and are the only safety glasses I can wear all day long in the shop.

They are also sold on Amazon under the VisorGog brand.

I don't know what is available to you as far as over the top safety spectacle covers but as someone who is in the same boat as you , I take a different approach in my shop. I wear a full face visor over my prescription spectacles. I realise you asked for affordable and a full face visor is dearer than other options
But :

The trick is to hang the visors up up and keep the screens clean and prevent the headbands becoming out of shape.

My visors are covered by a disposable plastic bag.I have 5 or 6 placed nearby to the places where I need to use them.

Keeping whatever contaminants that are in the local atmosphere, off the visor screens seems to be the secret as well as hanging them up after use.

Having a dedicated position to return them to means I don't need to look for one as well as the shape of the hanger keeps the head band shape as it should be.

The screens last for longer and even when they do get a little grubby, a wash in Simple Green sorts them out.

Ozwelder

I use the full face visors as well and employ the same tricks as Ozwelder does for keeping them clean and at hand. One thing I do with mine though is trim a bit off the bottom of the shield part. Makes more of a hockey mask style to cover eyes and nose but doesn't extend in front of my mouth. Not as much protection, I know, but it's more comfortable to breathe so I wear it more.

-frank

Edit- I wear glasses as well

I recently got a set of safety specs, the lenses are trivex , it's resistant to most common solvents and stronger than polly carbonate.

I had a very limited selection of brands to choose from as my prescription is quite extreme. They were cheeper than my day to day specs though.

I still ware the big over safety glasses (the dead cheep and nasty ones) when using an angle grinder as the hot sparks are just asking to ruin the safety specs.

I keep meaning to get one of the basic face shields, especially to use when grinding, bollie do a replaceable visor face shield for quite low money but that style is still recommended to have something under it.

Stuart

These are what I use the most. Fit easily over my expensive eyeglasses. Available everywhere for only a few dollars. My criteria: full coverage, comfortable, handy, ventilated.
My attitude is that the goggles are disposable but my eyes are not. Just about any eye injury will make the most expensive mask/goggle look cheap. When the lens gets scratched or melted it means its working. I buy three at a time so that when one gets compromised I grab a fresh one.
Full face mask is used when sandblasting and a retired full face motorcycle helmet is worn for the test run of a new grind wheel. :)

IMG_1647.JPG

Ebay item # 221944170808 is a six pack for $7.99 and 4-5 day free shipping. I like those even though they scratch pretty easily, since they are so cheep I can afford to toss them for a buck and a quarter each. Beware of the ones that are flat on the front; I thought I got lucky at a contract job when at the issue counter the lady asked me if I needed any "glasses over glasses". Sure says I since I had to buy my own. I put them on and in less than 20 mins. they had ruined my prescription glasses. The style was "flat" on the front of the glasses and not "oval" like prescriptions.
They matched up and ground buggers on the centers of my lenses rather than matching up with the outside frame. The only good thing was that I had a new prescription in my wallet and in the next week I was purchasing new glasses anyway. Now, because of a coming cataract I use the same in a sunglass, and they are 7-8-10 bucks a pop if you can find them. Good luck.

Ebay item # 221944170808 is a six pack for $7.99 and 4-5 day free shipping. I like those even though they scratch pretty easily, since they are so cheep I can afford to toss them for a buck and a quarter each. Beware of the ones that are flat on the front; I thought I got lucky at a contract job when at the issue counter the lady asked me if I needed any "glasses over glasses". Sure says I since I had to buy my own. I put them on and in less than 20 mins. they had ruined my prescription glasses. The style was "flat" on the front of the glasses and not "oval" like prescriptions.
They matched up and ground buggers on the centers of my lenses rather than matching up with the outside frame. The only good thing was that I had a new prescription in my wallet and in the next week I was purchasing new glasses anyway. Now, because of a coming cataract I use the same in a sunglass, and they are 7-8-10 bucks a pop if you can find them. Good luck.

I have goggles and face shield's but I like those. For that kind of money I'm going to give them a try. Thanks.

uvec has glasses that fit over your regular glasses. they are called cover glasses. used them at work not really that great to wear. bill

Back