Best material for a gib?

dabear3428

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
what is the best material to use to make a gib, steel, brass, bronze?
and why?

"Cast iron is a popular material for gibs because of its high strength, durability, and resistance to wear and deformation. It is often used in heavy-duty applications with high loads and stresses, such as in large machinery and presses."

Cast iron is the most common. They withstand pressure better than bronze. In precision tooling where sliding friction is a factor, then bronze gibbs are used. Bronze will last significantly longer in low pressure applications. If you use either, they have to be scraped and then flaked in order for them to give their longest service life.

[update] Sorry, @MyLilMule I missed your post before posting!

Cast iron is the most common. They withstand pressure better than bronze. In precision tooling where sliding friction is a factor, then bronze gibbs are used. Bronze will last significantly longer in low pressure applications. If you use either, they have to be scraped and then flaked in order for them to give their longest service life.

[update] Sorry, @MyLilMule I missed your post before posting!
would a compound slide on a lathe be considered "low pressure"?

would a compound slide on a lathe be considered "low pressure"?
Great question!

It all depends on the angle. If the compound is at less than 30 degrees (or even 35 degrees) from the perpendicular, then it is low pressure. But anything more, is rapidly growing in side pressure. e.g.

compound 30 degrees.PNG

Great question!

It all depends on the angle. If the compound is at less than 30 degrees (or even 35 degrees) from the perpendicular, then it is low pressure. But anything more, is rapidly growing in side pressure. e.g.

View attachment 479357
i will be using a 60deg dovetail mill so should be low pressure.

Back