Best machine for a begginer.

Stemy77

Registered
Registered
I would like to buy a mill for my garage to start doing a little machine work, what would be the best setup to get to start off on? Any help or suggestions would be great. Thanks.

I would like to buy a mill for my garage to start doing a little machine work, what would be the best setup to get to start off on? Any help or suggestions would be great. Thanks.

Lots of options.
We will need to know some data:
1. How large of work do you anticipate milling?
2. What do you have available for electrical? 110/120v, 208/240v, 480v, 1phase, 3phase?
3. What space limitations/footprint do you have?
4. Are you into "vintage" and may need work (that describes me well), or do you prefer new stuff?
5. How are you set for moving machines? No sense recommending a #2500 mill if your minivan will only handle a #600 payload.

I certainly didn't have answers to these questions when I started. And I learned much wrestling for answers.
Consider contacting a HM Member(s) in your neighborhood and asking for a shop tour(s).
Likely you will go away with different impressions depending on the HM.

You are always welcome in Dayton MN.

Daryl
MN

exactly what daryl said. . . how deep are your pockets ?
you want to get right in to cnc stuff ? thats another road to travel. . . but jump in with more info and many here will be more than happy to give you advice :)

That PM45m-CNC machine many of you guys here have looks like a great beginner milling machine. CNC router for wood and plastic are a lot cheaper but this is a machining forum so I am guessing steel and alum is the aim. Retrofitting a machine is not a task for zero cnc experience IMO - really not even converting a G0704 is a beginner project but many people start there. These are $5k+ (PM) and $3K(G0704 build) options not including software. I retrofitted a 4500lb 1050 knee mill but had built many other cnc routers before tackling the servo retro fit using a centroid/ajax allinonedc controller. The G0704 is a great small machine and very basement doable.

If you want to just buy a sweet machine the tormach mill is cool as is the pm45m-cnc.

IMO.

I'm of the opinion nothing is above ones ability. If you have the gonads to run a machine tool, nothing mechanicals is beyond your ability.

It may be beyond your desire, might not fit your time frame, it might not be economically feasible. But given the correct motivation, you can do, re-do, or undo anything. Unless some have a super power I am not aware of, they cant do nothing you cant.

That being said there are only two things that you need to start with. First being amount of money in your pocket and the second being the amount of work you want to do. New or used, these are going to set the tone for what you look at. Out side of size limits, everything else can be worked out.

I have done a ton of looking into this cost wise. Best bang for the buck that I have found off the shelf was the pm45. Though I heard they wont carry them any more.

Most others cost so much I have a hard time not looking at used cnc or retro fit/conversion.

As others have said, there's no 'best machine' - it depends on your anticipated projects.

Although there's a strong urge to run out and buy a machine, maybe you should resist that force and see if there is a local group of HSM's or a community college with a machine shop program you could try a few classes and get a feel for what it is you want to do.

Most of the CC programs let you bring in your own stuff to work on, especially the 'Saturday Introductory' courses that usually are just 'open shop'.

Once you know what capabilities you need it is easier to select a machine - and the experience will make you a more discerning buyer - plus the exposure to others in the same boat may unearth an available and affordable local machine that will fill your needs.

And you can always 'trade up' eventually to wht you discover you really need. Been there, done that - but no t-shirt yet :)

Have fun!

Stu

My garage is small, only couple standard outlets and a light. Which i do plan on redoing, I work with atlas-clausing mills at the shop i work at now. I do love runnning the machine when i am out in the shop working. So i was thinking a used mill like that would be perfect to start of on as i plan on doing some small projects first than eventally growing into a bigger on and bigger parts.I have took couple machining classes at school and loved it, i made 2 c clamps and a cannon as projects, i am going to sign up for another machining class there to further my knowledge.

I like everybody's advice here. If you already have some projects in mind, you'll want something that's gonna be up to the task. My advice is to buy used and get the biggest thing you can afford our you'll be trading up fairly quickly unless your hobby is model trains or something similar. A class is a great suggestion if your just starting out, it'll put you in the right environment to make an educated decision. Don't forget that the machine is only half the battle financially, the tooling can easily double that cost.

Figure out how much you're willing to spend. Basic tooling will likely be about the same on any of the mills. There are some nice Taiwanese knee mills like the PM935 for about $6000. I don't know if a bigger table is available. The benchtop RF-45 type is well-regarded and not as pricey (PM-932 replaced PM-45) for $2800. There is also an undocumented VFD variant as well.

If you have a garage I think a bridgeport is gonna be your best bet and depending on where you live it can be easy to find one for $1500 or less most of the time. And the best think about buy used is the tooling you'll acquire. That just my opinion. I'd rather look around for a less worn bridgeport for a few months and pay $2500 then spend almost $6000 according to my enco flyer for a similar machine with no tooling and from china or Taiwan that will take a few months to ship . Now dont get me wrong I'm not agianst Chinese stuff I just don't see the economics of spending more for less. Maybe look for a used import machine. But they alway bring way more than they are worth. Brands like supermax and excello are good bridge port alternatives though.

Back