Best Knee Mill Under 5k

If I'd seen this a few days ago Enco had an great sale. That's where I ordered mine. I hope to have it this week. I ordered a 6" vice to go with it also. I already have a 4" that I have on my little HF mill that will probably be used most of the time tho. I guess time will tell. There mills are still on sale till the end of the month but I don't know if they will still offer the 25% off & free shipping again. They even added free lift gate service for me.

If you go there to look make sure you go through the "Hit Deals" catalog or it will be regular price.

One more thing. I've never had a vice from Enco before but if they are the same as the Chinese vises from Grizzly expect to do some milling on them to get them right. Nothing to bad but I had to cut the mounting bolt slot where the casting leaked, turn the back of the bolt heads so there were square with the bolts, shorten the T-slot bolts so it would swivel, & sand the burs from where it swivels. Other then that my 4" is perfect. The 6" I had ordered from them had a bent lead screw & I didn't want to mess with that one also so I sent it back.

Maybe make some calls to see if some suppliers give an educational discount for machines.

Personally, I would recommend going with a Taiwanese manufactured machine as well.

However, IF that definitely does not fit into your budget then I would call Matt @ Quality Machine Tools and inquire about the PM836. I know he had several left and they are basically the same machine as the Jet JVM-836 which is a 2/3 size Bridgeport clone and has everything except the nod feature on the head. It is a decent size for most milling operations and takes standard R8 tooling. Pretty decent little machine for the money and I know he had several left that he was blowing out a few months back, again, not sure if he still has any but it would be worth a call.

Mike.

Back