Best Glue For Replacing Felt In Machinist Drawers

gmcken

Registered
Registered
I am in the process of replacing the felt in several machinist cabinet drawers. I have read that some glues will cause the tools to rust or damage them. Some of the drawers are metal and some are wood. Any suggestions?

Dunno what glue is good, but you might want to check out "archival" tapes and adhesives from framing shops. I'm no expert, but I'd think that the outgassing concerns would be mostly the same. Personally, I'd use the same Super77 spray adhesive that Ken recommended. If you're worried, you could let it dry for a few days outside of the box — I'd think any outgassing would be worst during the first stages of curing (but again: not an expert).

With respect to the fun of getting it in place I can recommend the "half and half" technique:

Cut the felt to size and lay it smooth and properly aligned on the bottom before putting any glue down. Then keeping, say, the left half down and aligned on the bottom, fold up the right half and lay it over the left. Spray the glue down on the right, then carefully unfold/roll-out the part you folded up. The unglued left half will ensure you still have the edges aligned. After the right side is firmly attached, fold up the left half and repeat the process.

Any other technique will have you pulling your hair out unless you use extremely slow setting glue.

It's still worth going through a dry run or two to figure out how to roll each half onto the adhesive while avoiding stretching the material and keeping it aligned to the edges.

Regards,
--
Rex

Rex is right on on fitting the felt and applying the glue. Exactly the way I did mine.
Thanks Rex,
Ken

I've got a friend who decals commercial truck graphics (very large sheets).
This is very similar to the process he uses. However, over a large area a few degrees make a huge difference.
However, it seems he has more problems with wind and dirt than suggested above. :)

Daryl
MN

Heh. I'd be a complete wreck trying to do anything involving glue, finishes, paints or decals outdoors. I'm usually in a panic even in my closed shop.

For particularly finicky operations I've been known to turn off all fans and close and lock all windows and doors until I complete the job (ventilation be damned!). I'm embarrassed to admit it, but I usually turn off any radios/iPods and wash my hands immediately before such operations, too. I'm sure it's purely psychological, but somehow it seems to help. A lot. Seriously.

G'Day Fellas,
Gave up on glue years ago, just too messy, I have had more success using a fairly aggressive carpet layers double sided tape.
Regards,
Martin

Gerstner uses a hide-based glue in their tool chests. They say it has all the right characteristics, and none of the bad. A bit spendy, though - $30
http://gerstnerusa.com/replacement-hardware/whew-glue-kit
I bought a Gerstner from a pawn shop earlier this year. Part of the felt on the flap-down door was peeled up. Fixed it by moistening the felt and ironing it back down. The repair worked very well!

I have a lot of experience laminating felt. I echo the 3M 77 and half fold application, as a good approach. The carpet tape also sounds like good method.
However, In my opinion, Self adhesive felt sheet is by far the easiest.

Back