Best Dial Test Indictor for the Money

I am posting this thread here because the folks here seem to more represent my philosophy and what I am interested in than other segments. If I am posting here improperly, please accept my apologies. I am an attorney and therefore impaired.

I am in the process of building a shop and equipping it with a lathe and milling machine. Obviously, I am going to need several dial indicators in both 0.0005 and 0.0001 configurations. I already have several 0.001 indicators. The prices for dial test indicators are all over the map. I am of the opinion that you never go wrong by buying quality, but price and name brand do not always indicate quality. My question is this:

What is the best dial test indicator for the money?

Thanks for your response(s) and I realize that this is a "newbie" question.
I have found that I like Dasqua products, good price for good quality. https://www.dasquatools.com/

This discussion started almost 7 years ago and the title is relevant to my needs now. The cheap test indicator I acquired when starting this hobby (six years ago) has died. My requirements are not that great. A indicator with 0.0005 graduations and a 0.03" range will do nicely. I can't see spending >$200 for a Starrett, a Tesa, LastWord, Interapid, or a high end Mitutoyo. Nor am I going to go for the cheaper ones. So, any recommendations for a $150-$200 indicator. Mid range Mitutoyo, Fowler, or ???? I am not abusive, but nor am I obsessively careful. So, ruggedness and reliability are important. Thanks...............
I have been very happy with my SHARS’s: they come in a variety of flavors with 0.0005” 15/0/15, including large dial and vertical, all in the $40 - $70 range. They are consistent, accurate (when checked on a stand with gage blocks) and don’t hurt as much when dropped as it would if it were my 0.001” Mitu.

I think he's looking for metric .

I think he's looking for metric .
I think starr256's post was looking for imperial. He said 0.0005" with a 0.030" travel, hence my link.

I notice the link to Long Island indicator comparison page linked earlier in this thread doesn't work anymore, so here is the updated link
Test Indicators
Dial Indicators

The first indicator I bought on Ebay (20+ years ago) was a Starrett lastword 0.0001" and it came with a Compac 213 indicator, which I didn't know anything about.
I found after using them that I preferred the Compac to the Starrett and have bought a few different indicators since then, the prices back then were far better than they are now
Another swiss indicator to look at would be Girod.

Some of my indicator collection..........................is there a toolaholics group?

Attachments

• IMG_4719.jpg
    IMG_4719.jpg
    503.8 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Back