Best cleaner for PCB

ltlvt

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
I am back onto working on my YA-205 Snap-On mig welder. The weather is going to be close to 0 degrees F with high in the 20's for the next 4 to 5 days and makes for a good time to work on things in the house. The PCB is dusty and before I put it back in the machine, I would like to spray some good safe cleaner on it to get the dust off of it. So before i put anything on it I am asking for guidance. The board is no longer available, and I would hate to ruin it. Thanks for any suggestions.

I am back onto working on my YA-205 Snap-On mig welder. The weather is going to be close to 0 degrees F with high in the 20's for the next 4 to 5 days and makes for a good time to work on things in the house. The PCB is dusty and before I put it back in the machine, I would like to spray some good safe cleaner on it to get the dust off of it. So before i put anything on it I am asking for guidance. The board is no longer available, and I would hate to ruin it. Thanks for any suggestions.
I use air used on computer.
If did not clean the board
Next 90% or more alcohol.

Dave

There is a product, similar to brake cleaner, for electric contacts. It's pretty nasty stuff but it's safe.
I've never had a problem using 99% Isopropyl Alcohol. I wouldn't use 90%.

Agree with 99% IPA + canned air.
Also, be careful handling the board with IC's - follow safe ESD prevention (grounded wrist strap).

Here is some info that might be helpful:

Inside old computer monitors, much dust accumulates... and an easy
way to remove it is with a paintbrush and a vacuum. Get it airborne with gentle brushing,
while sucking it into the filter bag.

When clean, stains on a printed wiring board often indicated bad capacitors. Dunno
about your welder design, but it doesn't hurt to check.

We had compressed air available, but it could dislodge labels and stir dust INTO crevices
too easily.

I use 99% isopropyl alcohol to clean flux off the boards but unless you have done some repairs, compressed air should be all that you need. A soft bristle brush could be used to loosen stubborn dirt,

Given the outside temperature, the relative humidity inside your house will be very low. That's a recipe for ESD damage if you use plastic brushes. I'd go with compressed air and IPA if need be. The PCB shouldn't be stained unless an electrolytic capacitor leaked or something got spilled on it.

Back