Eddyde

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Hi All,
This is a system I came up with for securing small machines, tools etc. to a workbench top. Basically, it's a machine tool "slot & tee nut" arrangement, made out of common strut channel. It was a result of my commitment issues, except in this case instead of women, it was tool placement. The system allows items to be mounted securely and easily moved if needed. The machines are also mounted to strut channels and angle iron that allows them and the stock supports to slide out so longer pieces of work can be cut.

Construction: The base of the countertop is made out of 2 layers of ¾" plywood, the first layer is screwed to the cabinets below, then second layer was glued and screwed to the first layer, with staggered seams. The ½ height strut channels were screwed and Gorilla glued in between Formica laminated particleboard strips, that were glued down with white glue.

The admittedly ugly Formica was salvaged from 3 damaged sheets purchased at half price from The Home Depot, in hindsight I should have held out and ordered a more suitable pattern, but it was instantly available and cheap...

IMG_2021.jpgIMG_2022.jpg
The total length is 26'
IMG_2024.jpg
The ends of the channel are milled to allow the tee nuts to be inserted.
IMG_2026.jpg
Polyurethane caulk at all seams. To prevent something like a spilled "large Coke to go" from wreaking havoc on the particleboard.
IMG_2027.jpgIMG_2152.jpg
I used the same size bolt (⅜-16 spline drive) for most connections, so only one ⅜ box-end wrench is needed for most adjustments.
IMG_2156.jpgIMG_2157.jpg
All the machine table heights are the same (6"above countertop) so they don't interfere with work from adjacent machines. this way, I can cut up to 6" wide and 10' long on any of the three saws without having to slide them out. So most metal stock can be cut easily and quickly.
IMG_2159.jpg
The machines are very rigid even when extended out.
IMG_2160.jpg
If I need to cut wider the chop saw can slide out and cut 16" wide X 12'+ right or left. If I ever need to cut longer, I can simply move the saw.
I also made all the "tee nuts", will post pics soon.
I plan on using this system to construct a welding table as well, stay tuned...

Last edited:
Great idea Eddy!
Thanks for sharing it.
-brino

Very cool setup. The only short coming I can see is the mix of hot metal from cutoff saws taking a toll on the Formica surface. When you build your welding table version, those saws could be moved to it. Very nicely done. Mike

That's a nice bench, what kind of drawers are under it? what size strut did you use, 7/8" or 1-5/8?

Very cool setup. The only short coming I can see is the mix of hot metal from cutoff saws taking a toll on the Formica surface. When you build your welding table version, those saws could be moved to it. Very nicely done. Mike
Thanks Mike, The Formica surface is actually quite durable, the chips from the saw don't burn it. The Metal Devil saw is non abrasive, carbide tooth, no molten sparks just chips. I was originally thinking of cladding the top in thin steel plate but it is unnecessary thus I couldn't justify the expense.

That's a nice bench, what kind of drawers are under it? what size strut did you use, 7/8" or 1-5/8?
Thanks Tom, The metal drawer units were bought surplus, they were from office desks of a local police force, They fairly are well made with ballbearing slides. At either end of the bench are shop made wooden cabinets with space for 16 large plastic storage bins. The Strut channel is ½ height, ⅞" (actually 13/16") thick.

I removed a long 12 foot bench/cabinet I built years back. On top I had a chop saw and a big fence, it really was a huge waiste of space, only use was for the chopsaw. I like your approach, not perfect, but pretty close.
Nice work.

I removed a long 12 foot bench/cabinet I built years back. On top I had a chop saw and a big fence, it really was a huge waiste of space, only use was for the chopsaw. I like your approach, not perfect, but pretty close.
Nice work.
Yeah, I had a similar, 20' fence, arrangement in my old shop, a waste of space indeed. I didn't want to repeat that mistake so this was the result. No, not perfect, but easily refined. I hope others will expand on this idea, I think it has a lot of potential...

Back