Bench Top Mills - Filling Base with Aggregate/Epoxy Mix

angelfj1

Active User
Registered
I have closely followed all of the cnc mill conversions here. Some, but not all owners have added "ballast" to the base of their machines, a popular method being stone/epoxy mix. Why is this practice not universal?

Thanks, Frank :))

My RF31 base cabinet has over 300 lbs of sand and scrap steel in it. I'd take a picture, but

a) it's too cold and I just came in a short while ago, and

b) I'm afraid stuff will fall out if I open the door! :rofl:

I have closely followed all of the cnc mill conversions here. Some, but not all owners have added "ballast" to the base of their machines, a popular method being stone/epoxy mix. Why is this practice not universal?

Not CNC, but I'm thinking of filling the center of my home-made lathe with magnetite concrete (I have a source of magnetite). It has a block of wood in there now, which of course might as well be air.

John,
Care to post up some pics of your home made lathe?

Cheers Phil

Thank you for the comments, but no one has really answered my original question.:thinking:

Catch 22.
If You have not heard/ tried it, You cannot believe how good it is.
I put a 300 lbs block of granite under my SouthBend Clone lathe and will not even dream of working without anymore.
At the same time I got a fitting decoration on my tombstone.

Catch 22.
If You have not heard/ tried it, You cannot believe how good it is.
I put a 300 lbs block of granite under my SouthBend Clone lathe and will not even dream of working without anymore.
At the same time I got a fitting decoration on my tombstone.

So, is the theory that this extra mass dampens out vibrations?

Back