Bench space

rabler

Addlepated tinkerer
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
When I built my new shop, I decided to be a bit unconventional in layout. Most people put bigger machines along the walls. I decided to put my commonly used machines in an island layout, and surround them with workbenches. While I'm still working on getting everything organized in the shop (never enough shelf space!!), I've been using the shop for a few months now. I have to say, I **really** like this layout. The picture below shows my mill table and the bench behind it. Enough room to comfortably stand in front of the mill, but I can keep all sorts of things on the workbench right behind me, tools, drawings, parts for fit up, etc, and they are right there, handy.

Now admittedly this is not the most space-efficient layout, But I have about 40' of bench space in a U-shape around my my main work area. I tend to work on multiple projects at the same time. With this much bench space, I have room to leave those projects laying on the benches, ready to jump back in whenever I'm ready. I don't have to clear off space, stow an incomplete project, or worry about mixing up project parts when disassembling something.

I made my benches by using 2x8" yellow pine boards, spaced out to give a 32" wide bench, supported every 6' by a cross brace, and legs every 12'. Then I covered the yellow pine boards with 3/4" BCX plywood, rounded the front edge, filled the seams, and painted it with Sherwin-Williams industrial urethane alkyd enamel. The benches are solid. The painted tops have held up well, including being resistant to mineral oil, WD-40, and even dykem high spot.

Only thing I would do differently if I had to do-over would be to use 2x6 rather than 2x8 for the front lip under the top.

IMG_4913.JPG

having been severely space constrained for all my hobbies I learned to become extremely space efficient. At one time I used to have a rather large dark room facility with 4x5 enlarger and several medium format enlargers... it was bigger than my present workspace in my home. Benches and rolling benches with swappable mounts for machines are essential in small spaces. It pays to be creative.

Currently we have to restrict our metal shop to half of a two car garage, so that the other side can be used for frequent automotive repairs, otherwise I'd have put our lathe and hydraulic surface grinder back to back in the middle of the space. They have similar footprints. We're just lucky to have very large space in basement filled with industrial shelving units for tool storage

Most people put bigger machines along the walls. I decided to put my commonly used machines in an island layout, and surround them with workbenches.
Yes, I completely agree. I have the mill, lathe, vertical and horizontal band saws grouped roughly back to back in the center, workbenches/spaces/storage around the periphery. I can have a shop vac in the middle of the four machines and drive them all with a single phase converter. Power distribution and lighting is simplified and easy access to a bench by just turning around is pure luxury.

I can have a shop vac in the middle of the four machines and drive them all with a single phase converter.
All of my "island" machines are run on VFDs. I put two 30 amp 220V circuits and two 120V circuits in the floor in the center of the island. I have enough space in the center to get in and clean out the back of the machines, with older lathes that is critical. I use that space for a garbage can and a bin for my metal recycling (chips).

Looks good rabler . The law at my place is , any flat surface is fair game and on a first come first gets basis . I usually lose out , but I'm trying to organize . :big grin:

My new (to me) lathe was located next to a big air compressor and up against a wall in the previous owner’s shop. I took a collet drawbar with the intent to confirm it was the correct model, and realized the compressor blocked access to the back side of the spindle.

And cleaning chips and grime on the backside of the lathe wasn’t happening.

In its new home, it will be between two bays in my shop, with only rolling stuff nearby.

And my cabinet saw has enough room around it to feed a 4x8 sheet of plywood through it in any orientation.

Machines that make chips or dust need rear access.

Rick “no waste of space if it improves functionality and maintenance” Denney

Mine is similar, I like the island layout and the permanent benches, but I prefer a rolling bench or table close by. If or when I do it again, gonna mostly do away with open shelves, and go with closeable cabinets.

It doesn't make any difference how much bench space I have. It will inevitably clutter up with tools and crap.
I don't worry about it much. There are times when a large assortment of tools are laying all over the bench
just waiting to be picked up and used. I'm used to my slovenly ways.

It's pretty easy to tell what kind of shop you walk into. Most of the time when everything is hung up and put away,there isn't much really
getting accomplished. If it looks like a disaster area it probably is highly functional from my experience...

Back