Bench Mill motor replacement or rewiring

maxime.levesque

Registered
Registered
Hi, I'm considering buying a used ZAY7045 mill, with a 575v 3 phase spindle motor, and before I look for potential motor+ VFD for replacement, (as only have 120v 240v single plase current available, I would like to make sure there isn't an easy "rewiring" possible, by rewiring, I don't mean rewinding (that doesn't fit my definition of easy !).

I have attached the motor plate.

Attachments

• image001.jpg
    image001.jpg
    414.3 KB · Views: 15
The motor data plate shows one voltage 575,
Find yourself a nice inverter duty motor and a decent quality vfd.

Not much you can do with a 575 volt motor other than give it that voltage or give it away

Replace with single phase motor.
You will be happy

Dave

Last edited:
Not much you can do with a 575 volt motor other than give it that voltage or give it away

I had my 415v lathe motor rewound to 240v by a shop , was much easier than getting one with the matching frame size :)

Stu

Rewinding shops used to be more plentiful and prices reasonable, but not so much anymore
For most of the world the cost of labor is too high compared to a new motor
Unless you happen to live in or near Pakistan :)

Rewinding shops used to be more plentiful and prices reasonable, but not so much anymore
For most of the world the cost of labor is too high compared to a new motor
There are a few Pakistani shops that would like to have your business though, just have to get it there:)

Indeed, I wanted to get the motor rewound to 240v for in my hardinge lathe, and the quoted prices were at least 2x the price of new motors, then I found a used one at an even smaller fraction.

Indeed, I wanted to get the motor rewound to 240v for in my hardinge lathe, and the quoted prices were at least 2x the price of new motors, then I found a used one at an even smaller fraction.
I paid about the price of a new motor but they did replace the bearings(or at least check them, can't remember) and clean it so it came back very nearly "as new" and fits with no faffing about.

If you can get a motor that's a nice easy fit then it could be cheaper and very easy.

Stu

The irony is, lathes (specialized ones of course) are used for winding motors....

It's only with price pressure from low cost suppliers that the full service motor shops are getting harder to find. And, if you find one they can pretty much charge what they want because there's no competition, and plenty of work with motors that are much more expensive than on our machines.

I have a 50hp compressor at work with a blown motor, if anyone is interested let me know.

John

I had my 415v lathe motor rewound to 240v by a shop , was much easier than getting one with the matching frame size :)

Stu
What did it cost rewound or did just do voltage change.

FYI Most 575 volt motors do not have a second voltage.

I found it cheaper just to buy a new motor than to have motor rewound.
Then found out if sell tool later single phase I had more buyers.
First thing out of there month is is single or three phase

Dave

Back