Bench Mill: Aftermarket Power Down Feeds?

E0stir

Registered
Registered
General Question;

I'm trying to determine the installion price range is for an "aftermarket" power down feed (from less expensive to higher end kits) and how that compairs with the cost of buying a new machine with the option already installed.

I'm looking at PM-(833TV/932M/940M). So in PM's current supply chain climate, this extra feature may increas leadtime or shipment delay anywhere from a few months to 7 months out depending on the model.

︎ If anybody has done this please do chime in or forward any related PDF forum links that could help.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Are you asking about power feed on the head of a square column mill, or power downfeed on the quill?

Power down feed on the quill...

I don't know of any 3rd party commercially available power downfeed attachments for the quill on the 833/932/940. There are a variety of DIY solutions on YouTube for similar square column mills.

Stefan Gotteswinter has a two part youtube series on the one he made.

I started this project for the PM833T. Need to finish the stepper controller, it will synchronize the feed to actual RPM using the tach sensor so I can control the feed rate. Too busy these days...

Gears and belt from Amazon.
GT2 Synchronous Wheel 20&60 Teeth 6.35mm Bore Aluminum Timing Pulley with 200mm Width 6mm Belt (20-60T-6.35B-6)

Pretty easy to make, you will need to increase the bore of the large gear to fit the existing wheel/shaft.

20220206_001554.jpg

I hope this gives some ideas.

Ariel

I started this project for the PM833T. Need to finish the stepper controller, it will synchronize the feed to actual RPM using the tach sensor so I can control the feed rate. Too busy these days...

Gears and belt from Amazon.
GT2 Synchronous Wheel 20&60 Teeth 6.35mm Bore Aluminum Timing Pulley with 200mm Width 6mm Belt (20-60T-6.35B-6)

Pretty easy to make, you will need to increase the bore of the large gear to fit the existing wheel/shaft.

View attachment 415598

I hope this gives some ideas.

Ariel

You should start a thread and build log...

Hey Ariel - That actually seems fairly strait forward. Well everything less the stepper setup. What size did you go with? I've actually already got some aluminum brackets (work scrap) that would double as a perfect motor mount...

I'm not necessarily sold on that gearing manufacturer w/a "0-3mm tolerance on parts due to manual measurements";

But I can only assume they're talking about the belt length(s) maybe...

Are you happy with your 833T purchase? I've been between that and the 932M. The more I look the more I keep eying their smaller knee mills, it's a dangerous website for browsing dreamers.

Thanks for posting!

Back