Bench Block Plans

sturgeondaddy74

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
My son and I are looking to make a couple bench blocks. Something similar to a Starrett 129. Does anyone have a drawing in PDF form they would share?

Here you go! Source was Machine Tool Metalworking written by John Feirer and Earl Tatro; one of my dad's textbooks in Industrial Education from Michigan State University.

Bruce

Bench block.jpg

Yeah, but that would take the fun out of building something with my kid. Anyone else have any cool project ideas I would be open ears. I remember making a meat cleaver in high school but don't know what ever became of it. It would be cool to build another one.

Yeah, but that would take the fun out of building something with my kid. Anyone else have any cool project ideas I would be open ears. I remember making a meat cleaver in high school but don't know what ever became of it. It would be cool to build another one.
Oh, I get it.
I just made that floating reamer chuck.
I'm sure I could have bought one for less :)
The fun is in the challenge!!

We do this because we can.

Here you go! Source was Machine Tool Metalworking written by John Feirer and Earl Tatro; one of my dad's textbooks in Industrial Education from Michigan State University.

Bruce

View attachment 469909
That’s totally cool. But, maybe it’s just me but I would make the upper holes way closer to the edge. I’ve run into a couple times now where I had piece that had a feature that I couldn’t get the pin out because the hole was too far from the edge. Just a thought…

you know, you can modify it to fit any need you may have. basically it's just a block with holes and a V. You can put them in any orientation, and any size where you may need it. Also you can make one out of a hockey puck for non marring... works just as well.

The one I’ve got is like Rockwell 60 or something. I don’t want to go through the whole process to anneal etc. I ended up making a quickie one out of UHMW.

Back