Belt sander no motor

Brento

Registered
Registered
So i took a junk belt sander from my previous job that they were going to throw away. I need a motor to run it though. My next thing is the sander was belt driven by the looks of the drive pulley. Not a big deal to me as i can make a pulley. I need help finding a motor though. How much could it cost, where to find, has to be 110 volts.

Around here, there are a fair number of motors on CL. I've bought NOS motors off eBay
at reasonable cost.

What kind of motor are you looking for?

Not really sure what type of motor i need to be honest. Never built a sander before so this is new to me.

What model belt sander do you have? Once we know that we can do some searching and find out what size and rpm motor you need. Lots of choices on motors. Everything from CL finds to super expensive. If I had to guess I would guess that you need a 1/2 hp to 3/4 hp 3450 rpm motor. For example my Delta 1x42 uses a 1/2 hp 3450 rpm motor.

Its more of a home made sander from what it looks like. I will get a picture of it tmr to show.

Photos as promised.
9FFABD7A-F65F-4E2D-9DFB-A1ADBCCD07E4.jpeg1F324495-5275-402A-8155-9D1152148295.jpeg

What model belt sander do you have? Once we know that we can do some searching and find out what size and rpm motor you need. Lots of choices on motors. Everything from CL finds to super expensive. If I had to guess I would guess that you need a 1/2 hp to 3/4 hp 3450 rpm motor. For example my Delta 1x42 uses a 1/2 hp 3450 rpm motor.
I think Chuck's got it right. If you're going to use the sander primarily for metal, you want a surface speed high enough to be effective - and that probably means a 3450RPM motor.

I was faced with the same situation as you. A sander sans motor. In my case the motor burned up. Guys on this Forum helped me through the issue as discussed in this thread. I ended up mounting up an old Craftsman 3/4 HP 3450RPM motor on a base underneath the sander, hooked up with a link belt.

I happened to have the old Craftsman motor on hand, but both CL and Ebay have used motors like it to choose from.

HTH, Bill

1613747957061.pngDSC_0013.JPG

I have one of those sanders as well. It has what appears to be the original motor on it, which is 1/2 hp at 3450 rpm.
The frame designation is 48Y-5. See this: https://www.baldor.com/Shared/pdf/nema_chart_04.pdf
With the skinny little belt, that motor works just fine. It looks as though you're missing the platen on yours.

IMG_1243.jpeg

Last edited:
He has a Rockwell Delta. Just like mine. The platen is there. Just hard to see. There should be a 3rd wheel on the back frame. His is missing the support arm. Should be able to make one. The support arm helps to keep the platen from bending and keeps it vertical. All in all you have a decent belt sander. Mr Pete did a series of videos on resurrecting one of these belt sanders.
This is where I get my belts https://trugrit.com/product-categor...idth=or&filter_length=42&query_type_length=or

I have mine mounted on a 3 drawer rolling file cabinet. I raised mine up with 2x6's and a plywood top to get it at a better working height. The drawers give lots of storage space for extra belts, etc.

IMG_3941.JPG

I set the angle of the table with a combo square and use it for the angle to grind tool bits.

IMG_3749.JPG IMG_3705.JPG

IMG_3707.JPG IMG_3706.JPG

You might want to consider welding the table adjustment bolt in place. I found it hard to tighten the bolt and keep the table at the right angle.

IMG_3748.JPG

Back