Belt Sander/Grinder ???

I know how that can go. NEED a DRO for a lathe? I keep hearing people say they don't see why I would want one and you say that... Interesting... I'm planning to get one anyway, just because I like the idea, but interesting.

I own an Emco Super 11CD, an Austrian lathe with very accurate imperial lead screws for the cross slide and compound. However, the Z-axis hand wheel is metric, a hair under 19mm per revolution. It is a major pain when I need to turn or bore to a precise depth. Hence, I need a DRO to keep what hair I have left on my head.

Besides, I blame you for my grinder building. You went and educated us on HSS lathe tools, making me want to grind them. And my wood sander and bench grinder just weren't up to it. Your 2x42 is probably a good machine for this stuff though.

Yeah, @DHarris is blaming me, too, but I am mostly innocent, I tell you!

I ran a Bridgeport-Romi lathe last summer for a day. It had a DRO, what a treat that was.
Really liking my grinder Mikey.

I'm liking your grinder, too, Duane, but I'll like it better when I have one of my own. Happy for you guys, to be honest, but it doesn't keep me from jonesing for one.

Im thinking belt drive so step pulleys are an option for some speed control. Will do some belt research.
Just spent the last couple of days putting a new 3 axis DRO on the mill and recycling the 2 axis one to the shaper.
I have a DRO on the big lathe, 3 scales the compound and carriage are summed, wouldn't live without it but have never bothered or feel I need one on the Hardinge. The dials are deadly.

Greg

I have a 2” x 48”, Australian sourced belt grinder, sold at the time by Jancy (mag drills), as aJancy RadiusMaster Ram 1000, 3600 fpm, 3 different contact rollers in a revolving set up, with a 1”, 1-1/2” and 2” diameter rollers. Is a vertical unit , that has about 20 different adjustment angles and the ability to be transformed into a horizontal unit, in about 30 seconds.

I also have a Burr-King, 2” x 72”, and actually prefer the Jancy

I decided it needed some paint. Did some testing on keystock and it made the first edge for a thread tool in about 5 seconds of grinding. I'm going to have to slow it down when I get close to the lines if it's even half this fast on HSS.

Could use a guard on the top to keep chunks of metal from flying at my face. I'll use a face shield as well. Maybe something to deflect sparks so they aren't hitting the garage wall as well. Or maybe take it outside. Needs something to keep it held down. It doesn't take much pressure on the work rest to tip it.

Overall I'm very happy with the setup.

20180114_190414.jpg

I decided it needed some paint. Did some testing on keystock and it made the first edge for a thread tool in about 5 seconds of grinding. I'm going to have to slow it down when I get close to the lines if it's even half this fast on HSS.

Could use a guard on the top to keep chunks of metal from flying at my face. I'll use a face shield as well. Maybe something to deflect sparks so they aren't hitting the garage wall as well. Or maybe take it outside. Needs something to keep it held down. It doesn't take much pressure on the work rest to tip it.

Overall I'm very happy with the setup.

View attachment 254559[/QUOTE
Nice looking unit there ttabbal if i had room id be maki g the same however im limited .
It needs a John Deer badge with those colours

Looks good T, like the paint scheme. Is your motor reversible?

I haven't tried, but the VFD does have the option. There's always swapping 2 wires as well. I haven't really thought about trying to run it backwards. Is there some reason you would want to?

You mentioned metal pieces flying up in your face, sounds like the belt might be turning up and over instead of down and under.

I see. Yeah, it's running down past the work rest. But chunks seem to follow the belt around. Some spray off the motor wheel, some the tracking wheel. Seems pretty common at the higher speeds. I don't have a tach on it, but if RPM follows frequency like I think it does, I was running about 5000 SFPM at the time with a 36 grit ceramic belt.

I was using safety glasses, of course, but I think this deserves a shield.

Hmmm, while some folks might have black heads on their faces, you'll have HSS-heads! Yeah, a shield might be a good idea ...

Reactions: Z2V
Back