Belt drive for a Grizzly G0704 mill

Some people have good luck with the G0704 and never seem to strip a gear - my first gear let go a week after I bought the machine new and I also had to wait 3 months for a replacement. I bought two - the second gear let loose in about a month. It is most likely my fault - trying to use larger cutters on hard steel and being a newbie, probably trying to push things too hard. That's when i decided to give belt drive a try. It was easier than I expected it to be and I think I'll like it a lot. Just been too cold to use it much since I finished the conversion. It does get you a higher spindle speed and a quieter, smoother running machine. I also now have a round column RF30 type mill drill to use for heaver projects (got it at an auction for a couple hundred bucks while I was waiting on parts for the G0704). I really like the G0704 but if you are heavy handed like me, it may not be the best choice - go for a belt drive mill to begin with. In my case, I probably should have bought the little HF or WT knee mill that is just a little more money - heavier machine with step pulley belt drive.

I have yet to have any problems, and have talked to people (including Matt) who have never broken a gear. I have cut hardened steel in my PM25 with no problems, but I made sure that I used the smallest cutter I could to lessen the load on the machine. I talked to one person who was upset because his broke taking a rather large cut with a 1" end mill. :thinking:

The reality is that this isn't a BP, or even a PM45 for that matter. You push it, you take your chances.

My primary reason for going to a belt drive is to eliminate the losses in the geartrain, get higher rpm, and eliminate the patterning from the gear train. I bought some steel spur gears that I can use, but I'm holding out for the belt-drive/spindle kit as I believe that would be the better solution. Assuming I can afford it of course. :)

Bill

Thanks for the replies guys. If I went bench mill it would be new or really really cheap. I'm looking for a bridgeport but just aint finding anything I want in my budget. When I do I'm late to the show for drive time or school. I dont need a BP but thats what I am aiming for.

I dont mind being nice to the machine. Just so long a it does the job. We have plenty big machines at school if I needed one and I'll be there for a good bit. I just want more machine time, bench or square column and capable.

Thanks for answering me. Sorry for the high jack. Awesome looking belt drive. If I buy one I'm sure this will be done at some point.

Back