Belt drive for a Grizzly G0704 mill

hauch35

Registered
Registered
Is it possible to somewhere purchase a belt drive upgrade for a Grizzly 0704 mill or is it something I must get piece by piece. I just need the kit for the drive not the motor. If anyone can direct me I would appreciate it.

I've been in contact with BenchTopPrecision.com and Scott just told me that he should start taking pre-orders next month.

I also found a place in AU that sells one, but you have to buy the motor and controller with it. I'm holding out for Scott...

Bill

That kit looks pretty good. I wonder what the difference is between the v groove pulleys and the timing pulleys. Seems to me that the timing pulleys would not require the belt to be as tight. I think I'll wait on this set up too if it isn't too expensive. Thanks for the lead Bill.

Bob

Yep, timing belts don't require as much tension. They also won't slip, that can be a good or bad thing. With a V belt it has the chance of slipping if a mishap were to occur & act like a clutch, well depending on how tight it is. May not save much & something most likely will get damaged but a timing belt does not have that chance. If the pulleys are slightly out of alignment the v belt self aligns. With a standard timing belt alignment is more of an issue. V belts are also cheaper & readily available. So if you ever needed a replacement belt in a hurry, a v belt could probably be found at the local auto parts or lawnmower shop. I don't really see the need or advantage of a timing belt in this case but either one is fine.

Those are some very good points that I hadn't thought of. Think I'll go with the v belt. Thanks for the tips.

Bob

What in the world do you guys have against easily destroyed, perpetually back-ordered nylon idler gears?

I take it these machines have problems your modding to fix? I only ask because it is on my consideration list if a used machine dont pop up sooner then later. I dont want to buy a turd or even mild headache

I take it these machines have problems your modding to fix? I only ask because it is on my consideration list if a used machine dont pop up sooner then later. I dont want to buy a turd or even mild headache

They're fine machines for a bench-top mill. I considered the belt mod, but didn't feel like I was ready to give it a go. I did buy a couple of the nylon gears when they became available, but of course, when replacement parts are on hand you don't wreck any and I haven't since. If you find a used machine in good shape and it fits your needs, go for it. Just buy an extra gear unless you do the belt mod. Grizzly shows them in stock now, but when I needed one, it took 3 months being out of stock before I was up and running (hence my cynicism.)

-Ryan

Back