Beginner Lathe

I checked out that Hardinge HC Chucker on youtube. Absolutely awesome for production work, but not for a hobbiest.

If you want to turn you will need a cross slide and tool post. Tool post is easy but you dont want to make a cross slide ahaha.

I love old iron, but I would take a new pm or grizz as well. Or used for that matter. Unfortunately for you, there simply are none listed in your state in your range. Shoot I got a 9x20 import and it does awesome for what it is

I just think used buys more. It dont have to be old or US made, just used. We ot a msc at the shop gotten used that works awesome. 2in spindle bore, draw bar, collets, steady and follow rest, qctp and holders and almost brandnew for like 3k. The coolant tank had never even had coolant in it

In school all but one lathe is import and they all work fine. But I like the old beat up turnado we got. It's huge and is hungry to eat alot of steel compared to the smaller imports.

Well, after some misunderstanding, and looking at a pos in the garage of the estates sale, I talked to the right person, and the lathe pictured was in a back room in the basement. The previous owner was a hobbiest gunsmith for many years, and the lathe looked like it had now real wear on it. As far as I know, the only parts I couldn't locate we're the steady rest, follow rest, and any collet set and draw bar. I'm not sure whether I'll need any of these or not. It is a SB 9C, and has no quick change gearing or powered cross slide. That's ok for now as I'm not sure how much threading I'll be doing, and I have a lot to learn. If I end up needing the steady rest I'll have to find one.
here are some pictures of my find.
image.jpgimage.jpg

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Looks to be well cared for. Plenty of old school tooling to start with. Nothing wrong with that. If it is important, tools4cheap sells steady rests. People also make them (I see a mill in the background pic. :)

Back