Beginner Lathe

Jonathans

Professional Fish Killer
H-M Supporter Gold Member
This lathe is in a local estate sale. The owner isn't opening the doors until Friday. I do not yet know what the model is, nor what the asking price is.
can so done advise me as to whether this is a good beginners lathe, and if it is in decent shape, what it might be worth? Should I be concerned that it is run by a flat belt? Would I be better off with a modern lathe like a Grizzly? I want something decent to learn on.
image.jpg

image.jpg

Hello...

It's difficult to tell with such a small picture, but it sure looks like a 9" Southbend lathe. The belt drive is nice and quiet and would be a very good starter lathe. It lacks a quick change gear box, but that shouldn't be a problem for a first lathe. Just be sure to ask if all of the change gears are still with the lathe.

Brian :)

I agree an older Atlas or South bend will be a much better lathe than the highest priced small lathe available on ebay and multiple different vendor's. Most of them are identical and all that is different is the paint color and how much QC they actually do. I bought a small7X10, and upgraded to a 9X20 and currently looking around for some old Iron I can afford. Being on a disability income, it is tough to save enough to have money when one comes available for a decent price. But it just proves you don't dwell on what you don't have and make a plan to get what you want when the time comes. My doctors call that acquiring PATIENCE, something I never had till I got jacked up in Iraq as a civilian contractor. But a small tool room lathe will be a great find if it isn't worn complately out and need a rebuild before you can even use it. When you get to the auction house, look for a bunch of gears and tooling that looks like it belongs with the lathe and see if you can inspect the ways for damage and excess wear. The wear will appear different than the unused parts of the bed and cross slide. If you are not sure take a bunch of high quality HD type of pics and post them up here. We can help guide you avoid buying a junker for too much money too. Is there a reserve price or can you pre-place a bid on the book so you are already in the frenzy to start with. Hope this quick overview helps you decide a little easier and not get stuck paying too much for a junker.

Bob

Thanks guys. For some reason there was a double post of my original and until today I did not know this one existed.
the lathe had no change gears with it and looked pretty beat up. Not what I want to deal with.

Back