Before the beginning: Where to start?

No drawing yet, but I'm in the habit of doing that. Just haven't progressed that far yet.
The shifter is hand powered. The Ural Patrol has a dog clutch in the final drive that engages to drive a driveshaft that goes to the side car wheel, making a 2 wheel (out of a total of 3) drive motorcycle. The stock shifter is about 5 inches long, down low behind the left driver's foot peg. Everybody makes longer ones that bring the shift handle up within reach of a comfortably seated rider.
But more to the point, so far I'm befuddled regarding lathe tools and tool holders. I'm before the beginning.Probably the first thing I'd make wouldn't even be this shifter. I've got a hunk of 3/4" brass rod that I'd like to pretty up about a 2" piece of and put 1/4 20 threaded hole through the middle of to replace a wing nut on a clamp-tite tool. Seems like a simple first project.

Jeff
Vietnam vet - Patriot Guard rider
sent from my Android phone

... But more to the point, so far I'm befuddled regarding lathe tools and tool holders.

Jeff
Vietnam vet - Patriot Guard rider
sent from my Android phone

Easy fix there. Go on YouTube and look up a guy named "Tubal Cane". Look over his many videos and watch the ones about lathe basics.

Ray

I think you have to set out your basic parameters for a lathe and go from there. For instance:

Where are you going to put it. Are you limited on space/power?
limited on being able to get it where you want it to go
initial budget for lathe
initial budget for tooling
ongoing tooling budget
size... 10x20, 12x36, 14x40, etc.
going to cut threads? Metric?
DRO, now or later?
3 jaw, 4 jaw chucks?
used, new?
single phase, 3 phase?
bore size through spindle/chuck?
chuck mounting mechanism, threaded vs camlock?
turning stainless, exotic metals?
turning big/little things?
tolerances expected, if you can get within 10 thousandths is it ok or do you require .001consistently?
need for collet system in future
Tool post preference? Axa? BXA mounting? Lantern post?
Plan to keep your 1st lathe for a long time or consider periodic upupgrade
easy availability of reasonable cost accessories and tooling
used tooling availability on EBAY

The more versatility you want the more the typical cost for the lathe and tooling.

Welcome, Jeff. I've been repeating this advice a lot lately. Your first project(s) when you get your lathe set up should be to make a large amount of scrap. Reduce some mild steel and/or aluminum to piles of chips. Read all you can and, as mentioned, watch Tubalcain's videos on lathe work and tooling. Then experiment. Set up your tool bit to the centre-line of the work piece. Touch the tip of the bit to the steel, then take a cut of 0.005" or 0.010" deep.

Read up on cutting speeds and feed rates, then play with them. At some point, you will cross the line and wreck the tool. Regrind it and try again. We all learn by doing and by making mistakes. Just try to think about how what you are about to do could impact your safety. If you have concerns, take a different approach.

When you are starting to get the results you are aiming for, then it's time to try to make something you want to keep. Many of us have some tool in our shop that we made in the very early days that we still use from time to time. The enjoyment is always there.

I think you have to set out your basic parameters for a lathe and go from there. For instance:

Of course
Yeah, that too
initial budget for lathe
Couple grand, maybe a little more for lathe and starting tools, I hope
ongoing tooling budget
I can work it out over time...
Prolly 10 x 20 or in that range
Threads, incl. metric, be good for Russian motorcycles and Japanese diesel
DRO, now or later?
Ummm...
3 jaw, 4 jaw chucks?
Tubal Caine sez 4 if you can only have one
used, new?
uh, yeah...
single phase, 3 phase?
Single for sure. Where I live we're still getting last summer's electricity we're so far from civilization. They won't have 3 phase here this century.
Duh, hunh?
more duh...
mebbe... stainless, anyway. Goes good on sailboats and Russian motorcycles
Not so big, see size estimate earlier
tolerances expected, if you can get within 10 thousandths is it ok or do you require .001consistently?
I'd like my skill to limit the output rather than the lathe
See previous: duh
Not the foggiest notion. As in: Wuzzat?
I've still got my first 40 year old drill press... 30 year old table saw although it's on the chopping block...
Yeah, that would be nice
Yeah, that would be nice too

The more versatility you want the more the typical cost for the lathe and tooling.

So as you can see, I can't even answer all the questions. :whiteflag:

I'll try to chime-in tomorrow with some info. Was in the shop tonight finally getting closer to making a few shop tools.

Ray

So here's the case: I don't have a clue what I'm doing here. I like to make "stuff." I mess with sailboats and motorcycles, and expect to make a cnc router table in the very near future. I'm studying CAD software but have not made a heckuva lot of progress yet.
It seems like most guys start with a lathe, and turn things. I don't really know where the best starting point would be for me.
So I'm looking for some opinions about a first machine. Lathe, or milling machine? I've run a milling machine a tiny bit, on Plexiglas, in a short-lived job about forty years ago. I've never even stood close to a running lathe.
Any opinions (well, except maybe "Yer crazy..." :nuts: ) would be appreciated.

if you are talking about which first cnc machine then go with the router(mill). i just finished mine and there is a lot more information on the subject. it is a fun project.

Jeff, download and read this. It's South Bend's "How to Run A Lathe". That'll get you started. If you can find the "Workshop Practice Series" of books there's one on lathe work that's also a good read. Good luck and have fun.

Let's take e'm one-by-one... Also, there's a lot of opinions in this; meaning, there is no right or wrong -just a different veiwpoint. Others may and are certainly welcome to comment.

Of course
Yeah, that too

Do yourself a big favor and figure this out first. Unless you know you'll only be working on custom pens, clock parts etc (and that is not meant despariginly), get the biggest lathe you can. Machine of 12x36 or bigger are what I consider "full featured". Smaller lathes in the 10-11" range will get the job done but many people grow out of them quickly. Also, the space requirement of a 12x36 is fractionally more than something in the 10-11" range.

Avoid working in dungeons with poor lighting, ventilation and electrical supply. It's actually dangerous.

initial budget for lathe
Couple grand, maybe a little more for lathe and starting tools, I hope
ongoing tooling budget
I can work it out over time...

You're good there. Don't lull yourself into thinking you'll do this on a shoestring. Nothing is cheap anymore.

Prolly 10 x 20 or in that range

We already talked about this. Get a 12x36 if you have the room.

Threads, incl. metric, be good for Russian motorcycles and Japanese diesel
DRO, now or later?
Ummm...

yes, you're going to cut threads sooner or later. The issue here is that lathes can do both but are usually natively setup to do one type (Metric or SAE) easier than the other. Most all lathes sold in the USA are setup for SAE and do metric very well but the procedure is a little different. This is almost certainly the route you will go.

DRO (Digital Read-Out). A method of connecting sensors to the moving parts so you can accurately measure depths of cuts as you go. You don't need it and at your budget, can't afford it.

single phase, 3 phase?
Single for sure. Where I live we're still getting last summer's electricity we're so far from civilization. They won't have 3 phase here this century.

In all liklihood, single phase and you will in all probability need 220v. If you absolutely cannot arrange 220, you'l need to look at smaller lathes in the 10-11 inch range and even there, new ones are often 220.

3, Phase... Easily accomplished with something called a VFD (Variable Frequency Drive). It converts wall voltage to 3 phase. Cost about 125 bucks and are the greatest invention of the century.

Duh, hunh?

To put long piece in the machine, it has to fit through the spindle hole, come through the chuck and be fed through the left side of the machine. I personally think folks go overboard with this. If the spindle bore is 1-1/4" or slightly bigger, that's fine. Virtually all 12" lathes (except the old ones) are in this range. Old ones are smaller diameter. If you're consistenly working on shafts bigger than 1.25", you should be looking at a 14x40 or 16" lathe. All new homeshop lathes come with reasonable bore diameters and who the hell cares if one is 1/16" bigger than the other. If you want 2+" bores, get a 2 ton 16" lathe.

more duh...

Old lathes ahve screw-on chucks. Simple but, worrisome if you need to spin in reverse. 40lb bowling balls with sharp edges really suck. All new lathes come with a stud mechanism called D1-x (where x is almost always 4 and sometimes 5 in homeshop machines). D1-4 is most desirable in my book for reasons too many to enumerate. Some of the smaller new 10-11" lathes come with various attachment mechanisms specific to that lathe. There are some cons to that.

mebbe... stainless, anyway. Goes good on sailboats and Russian motorcycles

Learn and practice on aluminum and mild steel. Then go practice on everything else.

Not so big, see size estimate earlier

Already discussed this.

I'd like my skill to limit the output rather than the lathe

Worn-out lathes don't hold tolerance work a darn -trust me on this. Good used equipment and new equipment can hold half thou over 10" with no problem (usually) if AND ONLY IF, they are setup properly. All lathes must be setup properly. It's covered in this site.

See previous: duh

Don't worry about collets now. Virtually all lathes (old and new) can accommodate collets. Collets are individual holders that fit in the spindle or special chuck. They are in increments of usually 1/64" and often used for precision/production work.

Not the foggiest notion. As in: Wuzzat?

If it's an old lathe, an old fashioned tool post works fine. Most new lathes come with a quick-change-tool-post (QCTP) which are more convenient. AXA or BXA work fine for 12" lathes.

I've still got my first 40 year old drill press... 30 year old table saw although it's on the chopping block...

If you buy the right lathe now, you'll have it 30 years from now.

Yeah, that would be nice

Affordable tools are abundant.

Yeah, that would be nice too

Affordable tools are abundant on eBay.

So as you can see, I can't even answer all the questions. :whiteflag:

Last edited:
Back