Bedtime reading!

n9viw

Registered
Registered
Postal carrier dropped off some light bedtime reading for me this afternoon! Looking forward to cracking this open when I get home from work tonight.20240220_134824.jpg

Sounds like a novel, almost.
I can see the value for learning the parts of a lathe and the various controls, but how to actually machine a part or grind a tool bit-
takes some hands-on time to get skilled
The "how to run a lathe" South Bend book is still the bible as far as I know

Last edited:
Sounds like a novel, almost.
I can see the value for learning the parts of a lathe and the various controls, but how to actually machine a part or grind a tool bit-
takes some hands-on time to get skilled
The "how to run a lathe" South Bend book is still the bible as far as I know
Just about any manufacturer of lathe has their own "How to Run" type book, and I have several- Atlas, SB, Boxford, Hercus, some others. They all cover about the same info, but in slightly different ways, with little add-ons that are handy.

This one was recommended as a good tutorial with projects. I know there are a lot out there in digital format, but I like the paper versions when I can get them. This one was new enough that a PDF didn't exist, so I got it on Thriftbooks.

Last edited:
I have frequently recommended that book to others. It's *THE* lathe book as far as I'm concerned. An excellent lathe book, including a lot of smart setups to do "milling" operations in the lathe. A real eye-opener in terms of ways you can use your lathe.

Enjoy your reading, your time will not be wasted!

GsT

I had a tool post just like that on my first lathe , found it very handy to use :)

Stu

That was my favorite book back in the day. Bought it new in the mid-1990s and learned a TON from that little book. Highly enjoyable. Made me want to get a Myford lathe although I never did. Ended up with a similar Sheldon which I eventually (and regrettably) sold.

Thanks for the reminder --- I still have the book and I think I'll drag it off the shelf and skim through. Probably end up re-reading at least half of it! ;-)

-MK

Back