Bearing Race to Tram Mill?

rwm

Robert
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Cheap

This one is bigger but the price is stupid. Maybe negotiate?

I just tram to the table. The vise is keyed to the table so I can just slide it out of the way. My setup is a 3/8" rod with a 90* bend and a Starrett back plunger indicator with the big mushroom contact tip. No need for brake discs, bearing races or the tramming gadget with two indicators. Keep it simple, Stupid.

The OD on the smaller one is close to 7". These are usually ground to within a tenth or so. I find it easier than traming to the table due to the T nut groves. I just center the bearing to the spindle and sweep with an indicator set to the radius. I think mine is 9" diameter.
I just thought someone might find these useful.
I think I got it from here originally:

A proper tram aligns the the spindle axis perpendicular to the x and y ways of the mill. The assumption that the table surface is parallel to the ways and is a good surrogate for the ways isn't necessarily true. Wear or table lift due to play in the gibs can cause a non-parallel situation. It is easy enough to check. Mount a dial or test indicator in the spindle and sweep the the table surface in x and y directions. Deviations from flat and parallel can be mapped out.

If there is a deviation, the head can still be trammed, To do so, I mount an aluminum plate to the table and skim cut the path of the tram indicator using a small diameter end mill. The reason for the small diameter is that any error in the surface due to an out of tram condition is minimized. On a CNC mill, I just cut a circular path. On a non CNC mill, I would undercut the entire surface, leaving raised bosses at the four quadrants. (If there is sufficient height, future trams only require skimming the surface of the bosses.) I re-skim the tramming surface prior to each tram.

Reactions: rwm
Back