bearing question - has me scratching my head

Speaking about stores, I would think that dealing through a supplier like Grainger or any other third party is going to cost you. In my humble opinion, you'd get a better deal and better advice through a whole-sale shop. Around here we have Oshawa Bearing, Montreal Bearing. They supply all the other shops and know their business. Waaay cheaper, too, if that matters to you. Check around your area.

I have a Purvis bearing shop here that I use, and have used for many years. Take in the old bearing even if it is from a manufacture that is no longer around, and they will find something that will fit, They also do seals, etc. I have taken stuff in that was not supposed to be user rebuild able, and they have helped me find bearings for it. Again they can get the different grades as well. Mine often has them in stock as they supply most shops in town with bearings as well.

I think Grainger had the size and RPM range for $5-$6 ea. Almost sounds too cheap but I guess with mass production and all that.

I don't know if there's any bearing suppliers around; we're not a heavy industrial area but we do have a major shipyard right down the street. It's worth checking into.

I'll check out JSB too.

THANKS!

Back